Content for Wednesday, November 7, 2012
- Yasmani Grandal Suspended 50 Games
- Is Filner just working for the Affordable Housing interests?
- Baja & Border News Translations: Baja California Leaders Visit Samsung in Seoul; $2 Million Discovered in Detonated Home
- Interview with The Loneliest Planet Writer-Director Julia Loktev
- Baja & Border News Translations: Free Mammograms are Offered; Two Arrested for Credit Card Fraud
- Issa committee used taxpayer funds to attack Obama, says reform group
- Baja & Border News Translations: New Tourist Area Security Patrols Established; Man Tries to Poison Sister with LP Gas
- Toni's Weincakes: Post-election comfort food?
- Cattle Decapitation singer allegedly punched by Six Feet Under frontman, quits tour
- Three defendants accused in Brittany Killgore slaying, in court today
- Tribe of Kings celebrate 15 years of irie vibrations
- Pro-union political committee headed by Michael Zucchet gives local Democrats $280,000
- Street Style Encinitas: UGG Boots are Tragic
- Qualcomm stock soars after-hours on dismal day
- Chula Vista's board of ethics to get independent counsel
- Police failing tests allowed to stay on forces across Mexico
- SWEETWATER UHSD COMMUNITY FORUM THIS THURS NOV 8 AT 7PM AT EASTLAKE HIGH
- Beer Week Basics: AleSmith
- Your Week: November 8-14
- Copper thieves target Poway street lights
- Late GOP money includes $5,000 from San Diego TV station owner
- A closer look at the promo photo for Last Vegas
- Coda to Mr. M's post on Bud Flight ("Tastes great! No swilling!")
- Gangway to Hell: The Love Boat sails again
- Mr. Chick
- Led Zeppelin Celebration Day local screenings Nov. 13
News & Stories
That’s life, and life’s not easy
When I was released from prison in June of 2008, I received $200 in cash. They call it “gate money.” It’s the standard issue for all parolees leaving California prisons, and it does not matter ...
On November 3, at approximately 1:10 p.m., a motorist was injured on the southbound I-15 between the Centre City Parkway on-ramp and Via Rancho Parkway off-ramp. A gas-cylinder delivery vehicle was unable to stop in ...
The Cheese Shop doesn’t specialize in cheese, they were too embarrassed to tell Mr. Cleese.
San Diego beer-pairing with autumnal cuisine.
Autumns are short in America’s Finest City. The transition from summer’s dog days to mall-Santa season seems like it happens in the blink of a sunglass-shielded eye. But it’s worth taking time to enjoy this ...
All about Penis Hickey, “an anarchic steel-toe to your earballs.”
The cooling, welcoming sight of a pond while hiking in the chaparral on a hot day.
Sam Prekop checks in by phone from his home in Chicago. I gather he is rocking in the proverbial sense, meaning in an old-fashioned chair. Every so often, I hear the tell-tale creak of wood ...
You’d think I’d remember the layout better,” I said to the top of David’s smoothly shaven head, which was hovering over a small map of San Diego State University’s campus. “Then again, I was only ...
Thursday 8Guitarist/singer Jon Spencer cut his teeth in seminal punk ’n’ roll outfits Pussy Galore and Boss Hog, whose swampy blues-punk hoodoo informed his latest and longest tenure with the NYC-based Blues Explosion, featuring the ...
Punk is getting interesting again. This year, the Russian provocateurs in Pussy Riot proved that punk is still a polarizing political and cultural force. But, musically, punk is thrilling in a way it hasn’t been ...
Babycakes is a good place to start the day with a cocktail, a pastry, and a spanking.
Commercial local media outlets are increasingly forced by the economy and the disruptive impact of the internet on reading, viewing, and listening habits to cut staff, but San Diego State’s taxpayer-backed KPBS public broadcasting operation ...
“Bless you,” San Diego’s crooked 30th Street, horsepower, all explained
Heymatt: Why in the world does 30th Street morph into Fern Street between Juniper and Ash streets? Not only that, 30th doesn’t disappear during its run as Fern but actually continues as an entirely separate ...
Show Palace gets raided by multiple agencies on night of Alejandra Guzman show. Nothing was found, show proceeded. Insiders suggest state bureau of Alcoholic Beverage Control was exerting pressure.
It’s Chargers football season, time once again for San Diego mayor Jerry Sanders to quietly give close friends and political allies free tickets to premier seats at Qualcomm Stadium. For the October 15 game with ...
Heymatt:Why are car engines measured in horsepower? What does horsepower mean and how much horsepower does one horse generate? — Motorhead, Escondido Engines have been measured in horsepower since James Watt, who refined early steam ...
Axe body spray pays Ninja Love for use of a song in a South American ad campaign.
New York Times advertising revenue down 9 percent from a year earlier
Increasingly, American newspapers are trying to deliver the news electronically: online and by smartphone, tablet, Twitter, e-reader, you name it. But newspapers — particularly large metro dailies — are still having a rough time. Profits ...
“Somewhere Over the Rainbow” takes Tom Quinn, of the Pink Floyd Experience, to a beautiful place.
Name: Bob Woolly Cars: 2012 Ford Mustang GT 5.0; 1969 Chevrolet El Camino How did you decide to buy the GT? When I came back from Vietnam, I bought a ’68 Shelby 500 KR. “KR” ...
Money may be tight, but San Diego’s mayor and city council have no shortage of ways to spend tax dollars, according to a list of top contracts posted online by the City’s purchasing department. The ...
Nearly all of San Diego’s freeways would be expanded
In October 2011, the San Diego Association of Governments adopted the 2050 Regional Transportation Plan, a document intended to guide development of transportation infrastructure — from freeways to bike paths to road construction to bus ...
Whichever neighborhood has no clergyman I shall die there. Let no one see how beautiful Are all the things I have, my feet, my hair. In the name of the dead, free and immaculate, A ...
We were very tired, we were very merry — We had gone back and forth all night on the ferry. It was bare and bright, and smelled like a stable — But we looked into ...