An outsider is permitted to experience a variety of San Diego social clubs from the inside.
- SoCal’s Rennfest and Highland Games
- New Bill in Congress Would Thwart Bridgepoint
- That car wash
- Another Step Forward for the South Bay Power Plant
- UCSD Jazz Camp begins June 25
- New Wine Bar: Paris, California?
- Registering to vote should be more convenient
- County Unanimously Votes to Demolish Historic Star Builders Supply Company
- Local Brokers Win Multi-Million Dollar Award
- Buddhist Sandwiches At the New Library?
- Meet the Kids Behind Monsters University!
- Old Pros Have the 4th Covered
- A.R. Valentien Chef Stepping Out of Kitchen & Into The Fishery
- Exploiting Brave
- Toothless George Raises Funds for Rock Band Guide Book
- Hidden Place: A Diamond in the Rough
- Report: Arellano-Félix Organization Still Runs Baja
- The Cookie Jar
- Utility Shareholders Should Pay for Pipeline Tests -- not Customers
- Filner Launches Verbal Assault Over Backlog of Pending Disability Claims
- Taste of Little Italy
- Holy Mambo. Sanctified Salsa.
- Ideal Beer Release Event Found at Lost Abbey
- State Senator Mark Wyland Gives $10,000 To Romney Super PAC
- Design Flaws, Not Worker Error, to Blame for San Onofre Damages
- San Diego Lags US in May Housing Statistics
News & Stories
London sisters Hannah and Colette Thurlow used to play together in a punk band called the Vulgarians, but when they decided they wanted to pursue a more restrained sound, they thought of the Melvins — ...
After contacting District 6 councilmember Lori Zapf’s office to determine if the city was aware of a gopher infestation in Clairemont, I was soon contacted by Steve Palle of San Diego’s Parks and Recreation Department. ...
Sven-Erik Seaholm and Brooke Mackintosh make indie acoustic music, “with psychedelic tendencies.” They also made a baby.
This short, easy hike along a cottonwood and willow-shaded lakeshore is perfect for young children, seniors, and avid birdwatchers
‘We’re a song-oriented harmony duo, with a little spin on the ball,” says Sven-Erik Seaholm, who, with wife Brooke Mackintosh, is one half of Seaholm Mackintosh. “I guess you could call it indie acoustic, with ...
Local jazz guitarist Peter Sprague is putting the finishing touches on two recordings set for summer release on his SBE Records label. “SBE stands for striving-to-break even,” Sprague informs me during a tour of his ...
“There’s not enough room here to swing a cat.” Who came up with that one? And what’s the story on the mysterious marbles of the Ocean Beach Pier? And why are all the Arco gas stations shutting down?
San Diego’s third district councilman Todd Gloria, who ran unopposed in this month’s city election, nevertheless went all out to collect big campaign money from a host of special interests with business at city hall. ...
“For San Diego musicians, Rob Crow and Jason Mraz are pretty prolific and well-known,” says Grant Clarkson, “but neither of them has already put out three albums this year.” The multi-instrumentalist explains that his disparate ...
Shawn and I clinked glasses. “To dragons and swords,” I said. “Speaking of which, where is Kimb?” asked Shawn, looking at his watch. “She’ll be here soon,” I said. “But for now, let’s relax and ...
Though the state’s budget meltdown has boosted tuition and drastically cut local admissions, somebody at the University of California San Diego apparently thinks the show must go on, literally. That seems to be the message ...
Lobbyist Marco Polo Cortes, another big last-minute giver to Councilman Todd Gloria’s cause, has kept a busy schedule at San Diego’s city hall, according to a recently filed lobbyist disclosure statement. Besides hosting a Gloria ...
Political and drought conditions could turn the Imperial Valley into another Owens Valley.
The year Robert Cruz Ramos turned 15, he was shot in the head, according to his sister and his public defender. He started drinking “to forget everything,” and he started smoking marijuana daily. Around that ...
Fundraiser for guitarist Jeff Winterberg, diagnosed with a rare form of brain cancer in late 2011.
Format Him Back I’m disappointed in the loss of David Elliott. I’m only familiar with him through the Reader, but I did like his opinions and his critiques of films very, very much. He seemed ...
I asked God if it was okay to be melodramatic and she said yes I asked her if it was okay to be short and she said it sure is I asked her if I ...
Prominent San Diegans in 1912 formed vigilance committees that escorted free-speech advocates to the county line. That wasn’t the worst of their enforcement efforts.
Getting out of the summer heat with shade sail options from local firms.
A blog by Whitney Butler, who finds similarities between asparagus and rocket launchers.
Bass Drum of Death is a Mississippi garage rock band, a duo. In fact, in the beginning it was just John Barrett, who, not unlike Tim Lowman (a local guitarist who performs as Low Volts), ...