Miguel Herrero, a Oaxacan native, has deep roots and profound trust in both places.
- Caroline's Seaside Cafe
- Rock, Paper, Scissors for a Lifetime
- As Immigration Slows, ICE Orders Reviews
- Dueling DeMaio Ads: Both Carl DeMaio and Anti-DeMaio Group Buying TV Time
- Fast Food? Fast Pho-ward!
- Grantville Group Protests Phony Projects City Wants to Complete
- Nationals Outlast Padres
- Scoreboard: Pigs Do Fly...In IB
- Appointment Trend Continues In Chula Vista Elementary
- Chateau La Jolla Inn
- San Diego Sex Slave Community Distances Itself From Killgore Murder
- Park Boulevard Deli
- Pre-order Mrs. Magician's Fools Paradise 7-inch
- Southwestern College, Ashford University Ink Transfer Deal
- Is God Smiting Ron Howard for Making The Da Vinci Code?
- A Cool Beer Event Learned About at a Cool Beer Event
- San Diego Execs Meet Nathan Fletcher In The Middle
- City College to End Parking Grace Periods
- Sweet-Filled Asian Confections Beckon You at Pangea Bakery Cafe
- Is God Smiting Tom Hanks for Making The Da Vinci Code?
- Scott Marks Hosts WriteOutLoud Screenings of Two Roger Corman/Edgar Allan Poe Classics
- A Closer Look at the Trailer for Magic Mike
- Jerry Sanders for Romney's Veep?
- GOP's Wyland and Independent Fletcher Get Big Tobacco Money
- Camp Pendleton Event Brings Nature to Military Kids
- Black Angels Swoop Down on San Diego
- Coming Attractions: Hillcrest Brewing Company
News & Stories
“We’re going to put out teasers on the internet,” Scottie Blinn says, “and hope the show goes viral and possibly lands sponsors.” He is not particular who. “Taco stands, guitar-repair shops, car-parts stores, record stores.” ...
After being cited by party-pooping cops, Sunny Rude may have to pay almost $7000 to play about 35 minutes of music.
Katherine Humphus started as a restaurant hostess; now she gives you her almond-crusted Portobello mushroom recipe.
In Control I applaud you, Barb, for having the courage to take back control of your life (“Diary of a Diva,” April 18). I have been on Lexapro as well as a dozen other drugs. ...
Do you not see this light blinking?” David squealed, in the same voice he uses when impersonating Vizzini from The Princess Bride, a character best known for the line, “Inconceivable!” “No,” I shrugged. “Phone’s behind ...
Santee Lakes Regional Park, a waterfowl haven that started out as a wastewater treatment facility.
“I have the habit of making seemingly insurmountable goals for myself,” says Joe Mousey, an art student, musician, and promoter who will be constructing a 20-foot-tall pyramid and six 4-foot pyramids for an upcoming outdoor ...
Very little honor among certain sportsmen – looking at you (again), Tiger.
San Diego State University’s $400,000 man, president Elliot Hirshman, is looking for a $45,000- to $50,000-a-year ghostwriter to be his “presidential communications manager,” according to a recent post by the university on the career networking ...
Residential property owners throughout San Diego might be finding an additional charge on their annual property-tax bills if a local businessman gets his way. The extra assessment would pay for enhanced services such as trash ...
A California Public Utilities commissioner has his unimpressive/brow-raising track record laid out.
The release party for Dawn Mitschele’s EP Love Remains happens Friday, April 27, at Mueller College in University Heights. “I chose this venue because I got my start at Twiggs across the street before they ...
Ex–San Diego State University athletic director Jeff Schemmel exited Aztec Mesa back in November 2009, ejected by then–president Stephen Weber after it came to light in a divorce case that Schemmel had spent state funds ...
Attention all spies: San Diego county sheriff Bill Gore, himself an ex–FBI special agent, is in the market for those schooled in the dark arts of espionage. “The Sheriff’s Department is seeking proposals from qualified ...
Well over 200 Ocean Beach residents showed up between the veterans’ memorial and main lifeguard tower at the foot of Santa Monica Avenue on the afternoon of April 24. They were there for an event ...
As a gift to the good people of San Diego, the reunited fIREHOSE crammed a Belly Up set between their two Coachella weekend appearances. The band walked onstage with little fanfare to set up some ...
Blues-rock icon Bonnie Raitt's first studio album in seven years was worth the wait. In the album-cover photo of Raitt ascending stairs, she looks much younger than her senior-citizen status, and her voice and guitar ...
In Thinking Fast and Slow, Daniel Kahneman writes brilliantly about how the mind works and how we make decisions. He calls one of our most consistent errors “WYSIATI,” the assumption that “what you see is ...
Where do ants go when it rains? Can man and woman live on milk and potatoes alone? Why is Antarctica a continent, but the Arctic isn’t?
Tease. Prude. The Virgin. Whore. Naive. Heart-breaker. Serial Dater. Bible Thumper. Megan Looney has been called all these things.
When talking about San Diego’s Little Hurricane, it’s best to get the White Stripes comparison out of the way first. Little Hurricane is a duo with a guy singing and playing guitar and a woman ...
What I remember most about Muhammad Ali Are not the fast hands and loose, graceful footwork, Or Manila or Zaire. Or even what came after — The slurred speech, the sad slow shuffle. No, what ...
Last week a writer posed this question to online magazine Slate: “Is Madonna too old to make Madonna music?” Sonny Vincent would have a laugh. He’s just turned 59 and has no trouble still being ...
Thursday 26Between Beatlemania, La Bamba, and Walk Hard, singer/songsmith/guitarist Marshall Crenshaw has had a nice, quiet career in rock ’n’ roll. The New Yorker by way of Detroit surfaced in the early ’80s between disco ...