Matt Potter 2:35 p.m., May 22
- 4647 Convoy Street (between Dagget Street and Opportunity Road), Kearny Mesa, 858-279-5999; 278-6358
- HOURS: Monday, Wednesday-Friday 11:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m., 4:30-10:00 p.m. Saturday-Sunday 11:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m. Closed Tuesdays.
- PRICES: Cold appetizers, three for $6; noodles and rice plates, $5.50-$8; entrées, $8-$13; hot pot buffet, $25 per person.
- CUISINE AND BEVERAGES: Authentic Szechuan cuisine, often spicy. Tea, soft drinks, Asian beers.
- PICK HITS: Pig-ear appetizer; boiled sliced fish in hot sauce (#14); mapo tofu (#93); hot and sour soup (#46); stir-fried pork kidney with vegetables (#16).
- NEED TO KNOW: Simple decor, a bit noisy, family friendly (but no kiddie menu). Possible for vegetarians, but animal-based cooking stocks used in many dishes (ask!). Reservations accepted; English spoken okay. Many fiery dishes (accurately identified by one to three chili symbols on menu); plenty of milder choices. Food arrives quickly; consider ordering a few dishes at a time to space it out. Parking lot crowded but fast-moving: Seek and ye shall find.
More from SDReader
- Spicy House — will Coronado take to Szechuan cuisine? — April 26, 2017
- Not all food adventures end well — May 1, 2014
- Pecks of Pickled Peppers — April 21, 2010
- Chicken Star — May 19, 2005
- The Twain Do Meet — May 12, 2005