I am so sick of "old guys rule". I do not like the guys who wear the T-shirts or the hats or who have the bumper stickers on their trucks. I do not smile at them or their old lady. Call me an angry feminist, but last time I looked, old guys did rule and have ruled throughout my lifetime and they’ve succeeded at making a fine mess of things. They’ve ruled in government, business, religion, and they’ve created an untenable industrial growth culture, where their mantra for more, bigger, faster is killing us all.

I am furious at my neighbor, a lifelong Encinitas resident and a nice enough older guy, who has the audacity to run a screeching table saw in his driveway, which is directly across from my house, all day long, most every day. I dislike the sullen gardener, who has somehow secured contracts with most of the neighborhood, and who exhibits no particular facility at horticulture except for speed in weed whacking and leaf blowing.

It’s all about them all the time. And behind the self-serving, myopic, old boy, you often find a compliant woman: My dear friend Lynn came to visit me last year. We walked the beach at Swamis. Lynn was well into her third year in a love affair with Travis, a married man, and an old surfer from mid-coast. She was going through hell because Travis kept stringing her along about his impending divorce. Lynn and Travis talked on the phone every ten minutes. He was so afraid of losing her. While we were at Swamis, overlooking the waves, he rejoiced on the phone in his memories of Encinitas surf and good times, and he asked Lynn for a souvenir. What did he want? We drove to Pipes Café in Cardiff to pick him up an "old guys rule" cap.

We need to stop excusing the boys will be boys mentality. This attitude fosters dishonesty, greed, shortsightedness, favors, complacency, silence and wrongdoing. I know nothing about the Highway 101 road repair project, except that it is never going to end—they just keep changing the sign—Nov-Dec, Jan-Feb, March-April, May-July. All I see is a bunch of boys and their big toys making a mess of Vulcan. I don’t need to know who’s getting fat on that plum contract or what’s been accomplished since November. I just want consideration—just a word of acknowledgement that the extension of road repairs is an inconvenience-would quell my anger.

People I choose as friends set their moral compass to the highest good. They consider the bigger picture. They are conscious and kind. They reflect on the consequences of their actions. I’d love to have them in my neighborhood.

Comments

CuddleFish June 18, 2010 @ 1:52 p.m.

Bumping fists with sister girl, then hiding before SDaniels gets here.

nan shartel June 19, 2010 @ 11:40 a.m.

~~can i move into your neighborhood with my "willing to kick old guys asses" boots on please~~

MsGrant June 19, 2010 @ 11:50 a.m.

So, we have a neighbor who I call "The Colonel". He is an older guy, and obviously was in a seriously high-ranking position in whatever he did before he retired. He built this great house in the lot behind our property, moved in and then proceeded to come over once a week complaining that we were somehow responsible for water in the alley, going so far as to call the city on us. Mind you, seven houses share this alley. When I finally slammed the door in his face one day when he decided to pay me a visit at 6:30 in the morning, the visits ceased. But get this: He built an art studio right up against our fence and uses a power drill to create sculptures. All weekend long "whiiiiiiiiiinnnnnneeeeee" goes the drill. We actually try to be very tolerant of this, only asking that he stop when we have guests, but I imagine if the shoe was on the other foot it would be a very different story indeed. Old guys rule, my foot.

MsGrant June 19, 2010 @ 11:52 a.m.

OMG, right as I posted that it started! It is SO loud. Anyone have any suggestions? We were thinking about asking him to put up some sort of soundproofing shield.

antigeekess June 19, 2010 @ 4:28 p.m.

6-foot speakers and death metal at 3 a.m.?

nan shartel June 19, 2010 @ 5:04 p.m.

PUT UR EAR PLUGS IN GRANTIE

push ur studio stereo system up against the window facing the Colonel and turn the speakers up to "EARTHQUAKE" mode and treat ur neighbor to my favorite version of

"master of puppets"

by METTALICA!!!!!

antigeekess June 20, 2010 @ 12:51 a.m.

LOL!!!

nanners, you never cease to ROCK!!!

:D

SDaniels June 20, 2010 @ 1:11 a.m.

re: #1: Nah, No gratuitous manhating here. You have to understand, this rant is contextual, selective, and turned to full bore at the specific dominant power-sucking class that be. She speaketh the truth, but not as a random, bitter, lovescorned manhater. Fist bump going out to yogadog...(x) ...(x)

re: #3: "All weekend long "whiiiiiiiiiinnnnnneeeeee" goes the drill."

City Ordinance (which I'm sure yogadog has memorized): Says this can go on Mon through Sat 7am to 7pm, NO SUNDAYS or holidays--some excepted. Sigh. We've had it comin' at us for about five days now...

David Dodd June 20, 2010 @ 4:57 a.m.

I hesitated to comment here, what with being an old man and all. But the rant is pretty cool. We make a lot of noise, I know. I have power tools, too. But the gals aren't always angels either. We build y'all houses and you complain about the noise? Heh.

As far as dating a married man, y'all should know better. Men are dogs. Demand their devotion only to you, dating a married man is the safest thing a woman can do, she can blame it on the guy's wife when it goes bad. All you have to do to get a good man is to be able to tolerate his BS. If you can manage that, you'll have a good relationship, so long as the guy isn't already married or otherwise mental.

And, you'll have to put up with our loud attempts at building stuff. It's what we do ;)

CuddleFish June 20, 2010 @ 6:51 a.m.

Nan, can I please change my screenname to bitterlovescornedmanhater? It is so me.

Grasca June 20, 2010 @ 6:52 a.m.

Maybe The Colonel retired from a career at Kentucky Fried or awarded himself the rank as some old men do ?

MsGrant June 20, 2010 @ 9:01 a.m.

I would NEVER date a married man. Wait, I do date one. But I have to blame me when things go bad? That's not fair!! And we are angels, Refried. PMSing, bloated, pissed-off, shoe-buying angels of mercy, GODDAMMIT, and you better love us, you SOB...;)

We had some people over and blasted some serious tune-age yesterday. Ah, nothing like a little Hatfield-McCoy to get your weekend rolling....

Grasca June 20, 2010 @ 9:28 a.m.

You will know that you are old when you receive something from the Trident Society in the mail as I did yesterday. There is an American flag on the back of the envelope and a polite notice on the front which states "FREE Pre-Paid Cremation ! DETAILS INSIDE." The older gentleman at my casa is still laughing as the missive was addressed to me. Oh - the stamp is also an American flag. I feel red, white and very blue now. Happy Father's Day.