On January 1, a new state law banned retail food facilities from using oils, margarines and shortenings containing trans fat, except when deep frying yeast dough or cake batter for items such as doughnuts. Next year, the ban will be extended to include all foods.

Health Inspectors will enforce the law in more than 12,000 restaurants, private schools, grocery stores and bakeries. "The County Department of Environmental Health regularly inspects these facilities and we will work with food providers in the county to educate them about the new requirements to make them aware of the new rules," said Department of Environmental Health Director, Gary Erbeck.

The new law doesn't apply to public school cafeterias, because they are already prohibited from serving any food containing trans fat by the California Department of Education.

Trans fat raises low-density lipoprotein (LDL or bad) cholesterol that causes coronary heart disease leading to heart attacks and stroke. Twelve and a half million Americans suffer from CHD; and, each year more than 500,000 die. Thirty thousand to one hundred thousand premature, preventable deaths are estimated to occur due to the consumption of artificial trans fat.

In addition to oils and margarines, trans fat is found in crackers, candies, snack foods, fried foods and baked goods.

Comments

PistolPete Jan. 2, 2010 @ 4:23 p.m.

Gotta keep America's taxes pumpin' somehow...Only in California...

PistolPete Jan. 2, 2010 @ 6:58 p.m.

Was it the whole state though, Joe? I thought it was just New York. I know just Chicago has gone trans-fat free.

thestoryteller Jan. 2, 2010 @ 9:58 p.m.

I found this strange. You can kill yourself and others with alcohol, but God forbid you should do it with trans fat!

rickeysays Jan. 4, 2010 @ 1:43 a.m.

As someone who eats out every day, I'm all for this. I can't control how they prepare the food, and I'd rather my food wasn't slowly killing me. Every little bit helps.

skennerl Jan. 4, 2010 @ 5:35 a.m.

re #4 - trans fats are far worse than alcohol and drugs! Margarine and bad oils were marketed as healthy. These are the reason fit men in their mid 40s drop dead during a jog from a heart attack, why careful people who don't smoke or drink to excess have by-pass surgery in their 50s (for the first time). Trans fats are extremely difficult to process through the body (ie use them up and get them out). They have no great benefit because they are basically a mass of dead cells that have been zapped, and they just find a place to lodge (arterial walls) and build up.

PistolPete Jan. 4, 2010 @ 9:07 a.m.

Uh rickey....you're kind of the reason why The Nanny State does stupid s like this. You eat out everyday and want the government to control what you put into your body. Kind of moronic,eh? I see NOTHING wrong with trans-fat in moderation. Anything that I used to love that now doesn't contain trans-fat tastes like s. I guess nowdays, unhealthy=illegal...

thestoryteller Jan. 4, 2010 @ 10:08 a.m.

My brother-in-law is in the restaurant business and I can just imagine the hell this is reeking although he's gourmet. I don't know if he uses trans fat.

rickeysays Jan. 5, 2010 @ 4:42 p.m.

No Pete, you're wrong. You'd be right if I could order my burger "no pickles, no trans fat", but I can't. I'm at the mercy of how they cook it. So I'm glad they can't use it. And I disagree about the taste argument. I've eaten places you would have been able to tell the difference (KFC, mexican restaurants) and I taste no difference.

PistolPete Jan. 5, 2010 @ 8:29 p.m.

Remember, I said kind of...In other words, you're absolutely correct-you can't order it trans-fat free but on the other hand, if fat, lazy, Americans(not that I'm calling you that either) wouldn't eat out like Morgan Spurlock after being told he has two months to live, we wouldn't have to worry about nosy, busy-bodies like our Nanny government, would we? ;-D

As for the taste issue, if you can't taste the difference between trans-fat and the nasty alternative, you eat out WAAAAAAAAAAAY too often. I come from a long line of cooks who used to use lard. Lard is THE best oil to cook your s*** in. Bar none!

Josh Board Jan. 7, 2010 @ 12:42 a.m.

So Pistol, using that logic...should 7-11 be able to sell heroin, along with alcohol and cigarrettes? After all, it would be only "dumb Americans" that would be choosing to buy it.

PistolPete Jan. 7, 2010 @ 10:33 a.m.

Sure. You know I'm all for the legalization of ALL drugs. Life is a series of choices-make the wrong one and pay dearly.