• Website Feedback alerts

Do you have comments / questions/ concerns about our new website design?

Please post in the comments below and we will address asap.

You can also email us at webadmin@sdreader.com or use our contact form.

• Website Feedback alerts

More like this:

Comments

Twister March 26, 2012 @ 5:15 p.m.

Thank you. I hope that we can all work together to make the Reader site better. I apologize for all my too-negative remarks. This is a great community resource, and we participants are all grateful for your providing it. We do want to build up rather than tear down.

Here are some of my recent observations.

1. The way I navigated the site in the past was simple. I just clicked on "50 latest posts/comments," and, if I remember correctly, one could easily find older posts so the entire history was just a click away. I can't do that now.

2. The preview defeats my formatting. It disallows spacing and numbering, for starters, and, of course, the typeface is not as it will appear.

3. The faint font just makes for difficult reading.

4. The date/time is no longer displayed. This is valuable to the user who wants to use the thread for research or just wants to know.

That should be enough for now . . .

Thanks for setting this up.

Reader Staff March 27, 2012 @ 8:53 a.m.

1. In the right column of every page, under the search box, is a blog section containing the 5 most recent blog posts ("The Latest..."). At the bottom of that — just above the Twitter/Facebook box — are links for: "More staff blogs | Community Blogs | Comments" -- all the things you mention are just a click away from every page on the site.

2. Hmmm. What browser and operating system do you use? Perhaps your browser is rendering things differently? Spacing and numbering are definitely allowed in the preview. If unsatisfied with final appearance of a comment, you can edit it for up to 15 minutes after it's been posted.

3. Noted. Can see your point.

4. Also noted.

Jane Belanger March 28, 2012 @ 11:20 a.m.

1. Has been changed based on your feedback. Font is now black instead of light grey.

Thanks for the suggestion, Twister.

Twister March 28, 2012 @ 2:28 p.m.

Thanks! (I take it that you mean my item #3.

Reader Staff March 28, 2012 @ 3:03 p.m.

Yes! Typed in a 3 and it somehow got changed to a 1. Another item for the fix-it list! ;)

Twister April 4, 2012 @ 12:26 p.m.

Errers are acceptable. It's ignoring them that ain't. Thanks for the clarification.

Twister March 28, 2012 @ 2:48 p.m.

Web Admin:

Thanks for your responses. Here's some [[feedback]]. Please note that I couldn't find your suggestion box via the front page, but had to dig it out at the Bauder piece and click on it there.

Reader_Web_Admin 1 day, 5 hours ago [[looking forward to seen date/time here]]

In the right column of every page, under the search box, is a blog section containing the 5 most recent blog posts ("The Latest..."). At the bottom of that — just above the Twitter/Facebook box — are links for: "More staff blogs | Community Blogs | Comments" -- all the things you mention are just a click away from every page on the site. [[Sounds good, but I guess I'm just a dunce--can't make it work as well as the previous method. The number of posts is quite limited and I can't go back in time. I can't figure out how to find other older posts, and the comments are restricted to those posted within the past few hours. Thanks for any help. How about a "How to Use This Site" link on your "masthead?" Since I am the only one who has posted here so far but not the only squawker, might that indicate even more confusion on the part of the others?]]

Hmmm. What browser and operating system do you use? [[I am a computer Luddite. Microsoft (2007?) and Google Chrome is all I know.]] Perhaps your browser is rendering things differently? [[I don't know how to fix that; only my expensive computer consultant knows . . . but I haven't changed anything and it worked fine before your change. What does that mean?]] Spacing and numbering are definitely allowed in the preview. If unsatisfied with final appearance of a comment, you can edit it for up to 15 minutes after it's been posted. [[I don't know how to do that. Is that in some kind of FAQ or instruction page?]]

Noted. Can see your point. [[Thanks for the change.]]

Also noted. [[I eagerly await the date.]]

Appreciate you taking the time to provide this feedback, Twister. Please bear with us as we fine-tune. [[Certainly. Thanks.]]

tomjohnston March 29, 2012 @ 9:42 a.m.

twister I'm using windows 7 and right now I have IE8,Firefox and Chrome opened up. The preview is working fine for me and to edit a comment you post, it's the same as it was before. You just have to click on the edit link. As for older comments, 1. yeah the Story comments | Blog comments links don't show the last 50 but it does show a page full, depending on the lenght of the comment I guess. 2. Or you can choose "all comments" which appears to show them from newest to oldest, as many as will fit on the page. I guess it doesn't work as well, in terms of it being the same, but after a few days now, I'm not have any problems finding the same things as before, just seems as if you need to follow a different path for some of them. Perhaps admin should have quoted the Borg: You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Twister April 2, 2012 @ 9:40 p.m.

I'm not resisting. You can call me Luther. GrrrrWrouf!

Reader Staff March 29, 2012 @ 11:26 a.m.

To find older posts, just click the "Next" button at the bottom of the blog pages: http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs/staff/ http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs/reader/

We don't have a "next" button that will allow you to find older comments...yet. It's been added to the wish list. :)

Twister April 2, 2012 @ 9:35 p.m.

Unless I have yet again failed to divine the mystery, the "older" (a few hours old) comments are not available. I tried "archives" and they aren't there.

Thank you in advance for further enlightenment.

Twister March 29, 2012 @ 6:05 a.m.

I have tried to access Suggestion Box via the website with no luck. I think it is a good idea and am grateful for it, but is there some reason it is not accessible via the site? It seems to me that there should be a link to it from the "front page," so that everyone knows of its existence and can participate. Am I wrong about this?

It also seems that your comments and the Suggestion Box link have been removed from the Bauder piece. ????

Reader Staff March 29, 2012 @ 11:11 a.m.

Comments are still on the Bauder piece. You just have to click "1 reply" / "[2] replies" to see them all.

tomjohnston April 1, 2012 @ 9:05 p.m.

It can be difficult to find the suggestion box. Perhaps a "button" for it could be added in a more conspicuous place, such as the Contact page or in the site map.

Duhbya April 2, 2012 @ 1:36 p.m.

Hey, a "true daily double": a suggestion about the suggestion box. Kidding aside, I wondered about this, too. Makes good sense for it to be easily accessible.

Reader Staff April 2, 2012 @ 8:20 p.m.

The "Contact us" link has lots of ways to get in touch with us. The most effective way to get our attention is to email us directly: webadmin@sdreader.com

Twister April 2, 2012 @ 9:21 p.m.

Thanks, but I prefer the "suggestion box" approach. It consolidates all suggestions, thus, I presume, limiting redundancy and maintaining the consistent community "feel" (and actuality) to the experience.

Twister April 2, 2012 @ 9:23 p.m.

I think of it as an essential feature of a user-friendly site.

Twister April 2, 2012 @ 9:27 p.m.

This route may seem logical to y'all, but it would be used by more readers as more prominent feature on the home page. Perhaps that is seen as undesirable?

Twister April 2, 2012 @ 9:31 p.m.

I still would vastly prefer that the posts be dated rather than the elapsed time since posting. Or both?

Twister April 7, 2012 @ 4:08 p.m.

A week of no action on the Suggestion Box http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs... must tell you something. No new posts from the Readership, and no responses from WebAdmin, or that access to it is so obscure that people can't find it. I continue to be unable to find the Suggestion Box by any means other than using the above URL. One way to be immune from criticism is to ignore it. The only way I can think of to propagate this information is to post it on popular blogs like Don Bauder's.

My take on this is that WebAdmin doesn't want feedback of this sort. However, I remain eager to be corrected in my misapprehensions.

nan shartel April 7, 2012 @ 5:24 p.m.

i did like the most popular designation on stories and blogs that the old format had i wonder if that could be reinstated

also i liked the number of comments designations published

i miss my picture no longer being attached to my blog

Reader Staff April 8, 2012 @ 1:36 p.m.

Confession: "Most popular" was always synonymous with "most commented." You can find the most commented (er, most popular) stories on the comment pages: http://www.sandiegoreader.com/comments/

RE: "also i liked the number of comments designations published" Could you elaborate a bit? Not sure which page(s) you're referring to.

RE: "i miss my picture no longer being attached to my blog" Appreciate you saying so. We were wondering how people would feel about them being removed....

nan shartel April 13, 2012 @ 3:32 p.m.

i don't like it!!!

put my picture back puleassssssseeeee!!!

nan shartel April 7, 2012 @ 5:52 p.m.

can we go back to the 50 most recent comments for blogs available for viewing??

Duhbya April 7, 2012 @ 10:21 p.m.

nan, I'd gladly settle for the Reader folks reinstating that feature over any others.

Jay Allen Sanford April 7, 2012 @ 10:41 p.m.

I've put in my own request for "View 50 Most Recent Comments" to be reinstated - I don't think WebAdmin will mind me sharing this correspondence about it. Feel free to post your own replies to below, especially their query "Why would you WANT to see older comments?"

JAS: RE the COMMENTS POD - Hasn’t anyone noticed that the mainpage comments displayed are FOUR DAYS OLD?? Shouldn’t only the newest comments be on the mainpage? I thought at first that nobody has commented on the entire Reader website for four days. I doubt advertisers are impressed by that!

WEBADMIN REPLY: We decided not to have the most recent comments display on the homepage anymore because there's no telling what the most recent comment(s) could be -- spam, libel, etc. Instead we're taking the "most popular" story (meaning the most commented) and displaying those comments. Unfortunately, that can sometimes mean that the comments aren't so fresh.

JAS: I do like the way the Comments pod links are broken down into “Blog” comments, “Story” comments, and “All” comments. I wish I could view OLDER comments, instead of just what comes up as most recent, but that’s a minor quibble. Only the last coupla hours show – no way to add an “older comments” link?

WEBADMIN REPLY: There's a way. But before we go to that work, lemme ask you why you would want to see comments that are even older? Are you looking for something specific?

Jane Belanger April 8, 2012 @ 9:41 a.m.

Most recent comments can be found by clicking on BLOGS at the top of any page, then clicking the "Blog Comments" tab.

Jay Allen Sanford April 7, 2012 @ 6:55 p.m.

I know WebAdmin is still eagerly going over all suggestions and are welcoming of more - it just takes awhile to get a "yay" or a "nay" on any changes implemented, as there are several people making the decisions, and then the technical know-how-to sometimes has to be worked out. I've seen several major revisions to the new site template based on reader feedback and suggestions, and several more website tweaks and improvements are pending -

nan shartel April 8, 2012 @ 11:19 a.m.

4 me older comments available create interest in specific pieces and continuity....often with new postings older posting simply fall off the page and looking at the comments helps to show if there is still interest in pieces written that are older

Duhbya April 9, 2012 @ 4:25 a.m.

Thank you for this, RWA. Perhaps my post can help lend some perspective: Not all posters/readers are able to visit this site every day. Indeed, I often am away for 5 or 6 days due to my occupational commitments. I work 12 hours per weekday in a high pressure environment and after toiling on 2 pc's simultaneously and speaking with hundreds of my clients, I often am either too busy or disinclined to spend more time in front of a monitor. Therefore, when I do find an interesting blog (often these are longer-running pieces), it is extremely helpful to be able to view all posts from the first to the latest, if for no other reason than to hopefully be capable of adding a thought that is germane to the overall discussion, given the twists and turns associated with a "popular" piece. Not to mention the catching-up aspect. Plus, it (the entire piece, replete with comments) generally makes for invigorating reading. This is especially helpful in the Bauder Blogs. I'm thinking that I am not the sole poster who darts in and out or is away for a period of time. Thank you.

Twister April 13, 2012 @ 8:26 p.m.

While it is heartening to see some responsiveness on the part of WebAdmin, and even some changes, the website remains clunky--even claustrophobic, to use. The result, in my case (even as a big Reader fan), is that I visit less often and read less. I, too, have little time to spend. I know not what course others may take, but my fanaticism is ebbing, not to mention my enthusiasm. The ultimate test will be effectiveness--what course others may take, whether or not eyeballs increase and ad sales and revenue go up or down.

What I think might help us all is for WebAdmin to list all suggestions together with their responses and the status of any action--rejected, rejected with explanation, accepted, in-process, being evaluated, stuck in committee, etc. I, for one, can't keep track of everything, and THAT'S exactly what computer capabilities are best suited for. I have no idea which of my suggestions have been accepted, acted upon, or rejected, and I do not have the time to dig them all out and ponder them.

One that has not been acted upon is my suggestion to either return to posting date/time of each post, or, if the time elapsed feature must be retained, to have both. I suspect that you are using a software that cannot be modified in that regard--a case of the tail wagging the dog if there ever was one.

I tend to concur with almost all the comments of my fellow fading fans . . .

Reader Staff April 14, 2012 @ 1:49 p.m.

Timestamp on comments has been returned to its former rendering, where the actual date and time of posting is displayed, rather than how much time has elapsed since it was posted.

Thanks for the feedback.

Twister April 26, 2012 @ 2:51 p.m.

Thank you for being responsive.

PS: I found this post by accident, hence the tardiness of my expression of gratitude. (Hint?)

Jay Allen Sanford April 14, 2012 @ 8:05 p.m.

I just now noticed another suggestion has been implemented - the "search" function can now be narrowed down to searching within the past 24 hours, past week, past month, past six months, past year, or any time. As someone who uses the search bar a lot, I'm thrilled that I no longer need to scroll thru dozens -- or even hundreds -- of results when looking for a specific topic, reference, or name on the website.

nan shartel April 15, 2012 @ 10:43 a.m.

whoopie 4 the search function!!! the timestamp is welcomed back and our pictures r back 2!!!

i'm officially requesting that Twister get an avatar post haste!!

Twister April 17, 2012 @ 9:06 p.m.

I'm gonna stop studdin' and moanin' for a while and see how the latest changes (for which I am grateful) work.

What do I need a stinkin' avatar fer? To scare little chillin?

nan shartel April 18, 2012 @ 12:08 p.m.

oooooooo...i love gettin' scared Twister...so join me and Mickey and friends with this new avatar

None

Duhbya April 18, 2012 @ 8:15 a.m.

Well, ya skeered me good enuff, ol' timer. I figgered you up 'n high-tailed it outta here!

nan shartel April 20, 2012 @ 5:32 p.m.

u've rejected Mickey!!

now u's in trouble Twister

None

Twister April 25, 2012 @ 8:05 p.m.

Abskerloutely! And Dorothy too.

Twister

P.S.: Izzat chick w' the huge biceps and the big smile u r some movie star?

nan shartel April 25, 2012 @ 8:35 p.m.

no just some twister fan technodummy...hahahahahahahahahaha

Twister April 23, 2012 @ 9:10 p.m.

A lot of improvements have been made, and I would like to see them consolidated into a kind of "familiarization" item that is at the top of the first page: "How to Use This Site."

One little glitch I ran into when I tried to send a private message was that there's nothing to suggest that the message had been sent (as in the "old" days).

A device I've invented (here instituted) is to paste in the name/date of the relevant post(s) to this post. This will make replies to posts less obscure, rendering, I hope, the "Reply" function on each post, unnecessary or at least irrelevant. I usually fail to notice it, and I suspect that other do too. It also preserves the chronology and improves clarity. I hope others will take up this practice with me.

Re: jayallen April 14, 8:05 p.m.

Twister April 23, 2012 @ 9:18 p.m.

Oh, yes, since I clicked twice on the same message, somebody got two, and I couldn't send any more because I had exceeded my 3/30 limit. No complaints there if it keeps out spammers. And it kept me from sending something feelthy.

Twister May 3, 2012 @ 8:35 p.m.

Honorable Admin folks:

I am patient, as I find the site much improved, and I'm sure your're working hard to make it better. Thank y'all for all the improvements.

But I'd like to share a peeve that I had with the old system (R.I.P.). It has to do with the time I have to spend and the difficulty I have in following comments/discussions and the style the present system continues to follow with respect to responses.

Let's say I'm following a discussion and it goes on and on (e.g., Bauder's piece on the late Mr. Seau). I miss a lot of the posts because I intuitively expect it to be chronological. But when someone uses the convenient "Reply" button at the end of a post, I will miss such replies--UNLESS I repeatedly, I repeat, REPEATEDLY, go through and, at minimum, scan the entire (100, 200?) list of posts to fish out the replies that are, consequently, out of chronological order. This tedium takes more of my time--SO MUCH MORE, in fact, that I can't provide Mr. Bauder an entirely coherent response if I have failed to endure that tedium.

I have found a way to beat the system for my own posts (always use "Post a Comment" instead of "Reply,") but that doesn't help if others don't follow suit. It takes additional time to include the name and date stamp for the post being referenced.

I hope y'all can come up with a way to make this problem go away.

One possible way might be to set up the site so that when one hits "Reply," the text is actually displayed in chronological order with an automatic reference to the name/date of the post referred to.

I hope you appreciate the time that those of us who complain take in trying to make the site more user-friendly.

Twister May 8, 2012 @ 7:10 p.m.

I don't want this section to be my private echo chamber, but I do have one other request to make. I recently tried to do a research project on the "archive" and found that only the month and day are listed on comments, not the year. Would y'all consider adding the year to all dates for radical fans like me?