It was the summer of 77. Summer vacation was just about over, and my friend and I were bored. We flipped on the TV (we were able tune 3 channels in those days) and suddenly appearing on our screen was Jerry Lewis. It was the annual Jerry Lewis Telethon! And as we watched KC and the Sunshine band perform on the show, we noticed that along the bottom of the screen were the names of local donators. Well, we decided we wanted our names on that screen.

So we got on our bikes and rode all over. We lived in a small down just north of Palm Springs called Desert Hot Springs. So, for about seven hours, we rode all over that town (there were no stop lights in those days) going door to door asking for money. When it was all said and done, we were able to raise $517.

We had his mom call the local number for the telethon, a Palms Spring number, and we made our pledge. We stayed up ALL night waiting to see our names listed on the bottom of the screen. And then around 10pm or so, there it they were!!! Our names!!! And to our surprise, who ever typed the scrolling message said we had donated $5517.

Of course, we admitted donating that much the next week in school, which seemed to impress the young girls (you know teenaged girls and money) because, well, that next weekend we took a couple girls to see some horror flick (my uncle ran the ticket booth, so no age limit was ever enforces for us) and, well, that night I learned how practical shorts were on a girl.

Giving begets giving. Try it this Friday night during the Haiti telethon...who knows, maybe you can get lucky too...even you Pete!

Rob

Comments

PistolPete Jan. 19, 2010 @ 1:15 p.m.

LOL! Nobody gave two s***s about Haiti before this earthquake. Maybe I'll take Sam Kinison's advice and send 'em luggage.

RobertScorpio Jan. 19, 2010 @ 10:35 p.m.

actually, your heart is in the right place pete. Luggage could be used to carry an orphaned child's one blanket, or the belongings of someone who has lost their family under the rubble and is now totally alone in this world. Hopefully you shall be spared such a reality in your world.

Rob

PistolPete Jan. 19, 2010 @ 11:37 p.m.

I only give money and help people who live in my country. I've helped during thunderstorms, tornadoes, wildfires and floods. If people who are a paycheck away from being on the streets want to help the poor and unfortunate in Haiti, that's their business and I won't judge them. I didn't give a rat's ass about some 3rd world cesspool before Mother Nature struck and I sure as hell don't give a rat's ass now. Part of the reason America itself is slowly becoming a 3rd world country in it's own right is because we're not worried enough about our own. Iraq and Afghanistan are two prime examples. Thank you Bush.

PistolPete Jan. 19, 2010 @ 11:42 p.m.

I'll give you another quick example-Back in 2007 I lived at an SRO downtown. I worked in Rancho Bernardo. Because I ate good while at work, I would make a HUGE footlong sandwich and bring it with me on the bus. When I got off the bus downtown, I made it a point not to go back to my hotel before finding someone homeless and giving them that sandwich. I didn't give a s*** if they were male or female, black, white or mexican, gay or straight, or even if they were drunk or sober. All I knew is that I did what I could do with what little I had daily access to.

RobertScorpio Jan. 21, 2010 @ 10:13 a.m.

Well, to be sure, you are giving a lot to the Haitian people via your taxes. That is where their assistance is really coming from. So, in a strange way, you are helping and that should make you feel all warm and tingly inside!!!

Rob

PistolPete Jan. 21, 2010 @ 10:19 a.m.

I hate it but there's nothing I can do about it so I figure, why bitch? Although I pay my taxes, I don't pay all of them. I pay my taxes under a different name who doesn't make a 25th of what I actually make.

Son? If you want to f the system before they f you, you gotta grab that bitch by the hair, slap it silly and stick yer anti-tax payin' c*** right into her. Don't let up. Keep drillin' for oil! ;-D