My six year old son loves to read the news. So, there I was, reading the comic-strip page, and there he was reading the important stuff. He goes on to tell me (this was earlier this week) that an unknown asteroid was heading toward Earth. Huh???

It seems as if a 33 foot wide asteroid came very close to Earth. DEEP IMPACT? More like the pop of a zit. For awhile it was reported that no one knew what it was..it was infact; a UFO!!!

Now, on the other side of the table, was my 15, soon to be 25, daughter. She was listening to Lady Gaga, with her headsets on. Oh, I know it was Lady Gaga because I could still hear her singing!!!

My daughter decides to add her 2 cents worth; "What if the asteroid hits our house when we're sleeping..what if we all die?"

Well, it got me to thinking; what if a real asteroid hit our world. One that was big enough to destroy all life. What if the world had a year to prepare for its eventual distruction? As the date drew closer, would the world dissolve into utter chaos??? Would so called walls of civilization come crumbling down? Did the Chargers finally wins a superbowl before the end of the world?

I have often wondered how our society would react to such news, and events. I am sure the images of 9/11, and the panic that gripped New York, is still a memory in most of our minds. I was in the military in those days, stationed right here in San Diego. I remember going home after that long day and watching all the news shows and the recorded images. That was an act of terrorism that no one in New York knew was coming; and the look of panic in their eyes was as true as it could be.

But if the world knew the day it would all end, would we continue our normal lifes, getting up going to work ect, if we knew it was all going to end a year, then six months, then a month, then a week later? What if we all knew we when we were all going to die?

Come on Chargers!!! Get it done!!! NOW!!!

Rob

More like this:

Comments

PistolPete Jan. 15, 2010 @ 3:45 p.m.

In the event of a cataclysmic, impending tragedy, I would promptly buy as much food, weapons and ammo I could stockpile, lock myself in my apartment and shoot the poor bastards who try to get in.

F*** the Chargeless!(even though I'm picking them to win this Sunday)

rickeysays Jan. 16, 2010 @ 1:28 a.m.

They joke about how if you knew you were about to die, you would turn to whoever was close and get busy one last time. But with plenty of warning, all I know is, Halle Berry better lock all her doors.

PistolPete Jan. 16, 2010 @ 11:04 a.m.

Heh heh heh! You sly dog you. ;-D I think if I knew my demise was impending, I'd take Digital Underground's advice and get busy in a Burger King bathroom...

MsGrant Jan. 16, 2010 @ 11:42 a.m.

Pete, you must have this Charger-hating demon exorcised from your body.

Holy water sprinkling on Pete, crucifix waiving in his face - THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!! THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!!

Pete's head spins in circles, and blue and gold vomit spews from his mouth - BLEEEECH!!

Pete sings the Chargers song (quite possibly the stupidest team song ever written, but whatever) - take it away, Pete!!!

"San Diego Super Chargers, San Diego Super Chargers.."

CuddleFish Jan. 16, 2010 @ 12:58 p.m.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!

Oh, is that Pete doing the LT fingertip roll?????

Dang, it worked, MsG!!! Nice Job!!

MsGrant Jan. 16, 2010 @ 2:20 p.m.

Pete is now in his tighty blue, gold and whiteys with the strategically placed lightning bolt, dancing around his room with a hairbrush microphone, posing in front of the mirror and belting out..."Thunderbolts and lightning, light up the skyiyiii!!"

CuddleFish Jan. 16, 2010 @ 3:47 p.m.

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

The cheerleader outfit looks good on him!!!

antigeekess Jan. 16, 2010 @ 4:45 p.m.

Yes, Pete and his group have been up to widespread tomfoolery.

But that's nothing compared to when he goes solo.

Is that a shaved weasel in his leotard, or is he just glad to see us?

antigeekess Jan. 16, 2010 @ 4:55 p.m.

Uh-oh. Apparently, Pete even found his way out of his apartment at one point. And his alias is "Cubby."

And then, he became a Wii phenomenon.

I don't WANT to touch it. Do I have to?

MsGrant Jan. 16, 2010 @ 5:15 p.m.

Egads!! What happened to the tumescence swinging around in "All The Single Ladies"? It just swung the hell outa there!

Dunt dunna dunt, you won't touch this!!

PistolPete Jan. 16, 2010 @ 11:41 p.m.

LMAO!!!!!!!! My GF was reading this thread behind me and died laughing. :-D

It's kind of hard to have ANY respect for the Chargeless when the fans look like this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2zrJj...

And since I can totally laugh at myself... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiqKKQ...

On a side note, I once f***ed my GF in the Subway bathroom while I was working.

MsGrant Jan. 17, 2010 @ 8:19 a.m.

I gotta hand it to you, Pete. You know how to clear a room.

MsGrant Jan. 17, 2010 @ 12:35 p.m.

Jesus Christ, Pete! Get thyself to a gym this instant!!

PistolPete Jan. 17, 2010 @ 8:05 p.m.

I'm going to try a serious attempt at quitting smoking the day after my birthday. I hope I don't put down one bad habit to get more fatter...

SDaniels Jan. 17, 2010 @ 11:51 p.m.

Take up sugarless candies and replace at least one meal a day with an Ensure. I recommend "butter pecan" flavored-Ensure. I have quit smoking in the past without gaining weight, just by strategically cutting down on calories, and going for the sugarless candies--just watch out for the latter, as some have sorbitol, which'll give you the runs beyond belief. Way to lose weight, sure, but who wants to do it that way?!

I'm not saying that I am that great at quitting smoking, though. Much much better at losing weight ;)

PistolPete Jan. 18, 2010 @ 12:33 a.m.

Thanks SD. I might try that. My New Year's restitution was not to be so much of an a**hole this year. Maybe I'll start walking more. I was built like a brick shouse when I was arrested. 5'9", 200 LBs, just got fired from my job at Oceanspray tossin' 50LB cases of Craisins like they were nothin, tanned so dark I looked black and LONG flowing hair. Then I spent 4 years in prison gettin' fat and goin' bald. Then I moved out here and started to work like a Mexican with 20 kids, drank like a sailor, walked at least 8 miles a day and lost the weight. Now I've gained it back. In 13 days, I'll be 34 and it's gettin' harder with age. 11 years ago, I would've dropped 5LBs from a good beer s. Not so much now. :-(

SDaniels Jan. 18, 2010 @ 1:52 a.m.

Pete claimed:

"My New Year's restitution was not to be so much of an a**hole this year."

Hey, if that were your 'restitution,' ya shoulda paid it to ME, dude. ;)

SDaniels Jan. 18, 2010 @ 1:54 a.m.

Oh, and don't worry so much about ageing and losing weight. True, it gets harder to do, but you're still young enough, and male. You can probably lose 5 or more a week just from cutting down on the booze alone. It is so, so worth it.

PistolPete Jan. 18, 2010 @ 2:19 a.m.

To be honest, I've cut alcohol almost completely out of my diet but have been hittin' the sugar with a vengence. The last time I drank was NYE. I won't drink again till the 30th for my B-Day and that will most likely be a few beers. Today alone I polished off a 12.60oz bag of green peanut M&Ms.

As for restitution, I've been a good boy lately. :-D

SDaniels Jan. 18, 2010 @ 2:33 a.m.

Wow! I'm impressed enough for all the sleeping bloggers!

Ok, so trading sugar for alcohol is usually my first move, too.

(It's 'easier' for me right now because they both make me sick, but still, I can advise)

After you lay off the sugar for a few days it gets out of your system, which then stops craving it. If you don't already know it, the Atkins stuff AG mentioned works on that principle, too.

You become as apathetic about food and booze as some people are about work and thinking. So then you take your frustrations out by starting to run around the block a few times. Then you push yourself, through some mental tricks, into going a few more times around the block.

Etc. Before we know it, Pete is jogging by our windows in those blue and gold tighties of recent fame. ;)

MsGrant Jan. 18, 2010 @ 11:56 a.m.

Pete, good for you for making the effort. I'm ten years older than you and I work out every day. I just force myself. And trust me, there are days when I would rather stay in bed but I dragged my sorry, Chargers-are-a-huge-disappointment hungover ass to the gym at 7:00 and kicked that hangover's ass. Just start doing it. You WILL get to the point where you feel like crap if you miss it. And you have to get rid of the candy. Sugar is poison to the human body. Highly addictive, and of no value. Eating a piece of apple pie is better than eating candy. So choose your poison wisely.