When you're driving down the road, or on a freeway, or any place, and if you see a stranded motorist, how do you decide if and when to pull over.

I'll admit, right here and now, I'm a coward. I only pull over if I think i have a reasonable chance to beat them in a fight; which means I don't pull over that much.

Even, if by chance I am driving near Hillcrest, and I see a woman who looks like Ernest Borgnine in drag, I will not pull over. Why risk it?

Today I pulled over to the side of the road to help a man with his wife and child. Sure, they could have been a family of cannibals, but the woman looked honest, and their kid seemed normal. I helped the dude change his tire, and then I moved on.

And then, down the road a bit further, I saw a motorbike rider trying to flag people down, and he looked like Adam Lambert crossed with Pewee Herman (who was awful on Conan a couple nights back)...I didn't stop.

So there..I have told you when I will pull over (hardly ever) and yeah, its due to the fact I am a human with all the stereotypes pre-loaded.

Now, what about you? What circumstances, do you pull over to help?

Not being sexist, but would a woman ever pull over and help a stranded motorist who was a man? What if he looked like Edward the Vampire from New Moon? ...

Do you leave your fellow human...stranded? Or, are you a person willing to help a stranger in need?

Comments

SDaniels Nov. 29, 2009 @ 12:43 a.m.

"...due to the fact I am a human with all the stereotypes pre-loaded."

Humans are not born with steretypes preloaded. That's a learned cultural phenomenon, and pick and choose once we become conscious of our biases.

"...the woman looked honest, and their kid seemed normal."

So how did the woman communicate 'honesty' to you?

David Dodd Nov. 29, 2009 @ 12:56 a.m.

Humans are born with two things: The fear of heights and the fear of loud noises. All else is either learned or unlearned.

If there is another human being in need and it is within my means to help, then I will. I think the most important aspect of being a human, is in trying to be a good human. Otherwise, we would all be victims, or worse, predators. The world is what you make it, so my advice is to make it good.

rickeysays Nov. 29, 2009 @ 1:11 a.m.

Refried I agree with your sentiments about being human and the world being what we make it, but completely disagree about everything being learned. We are unfortunately mostly monkeys following our impulses most of the time. We give ourselves way to much credit for being thinking creatures. More and more evidence comes out over time linking more and more behaviors we once thought of as choices to our genetics. But the only proof you really need is to go sit and watch the primates at the zoo for a while. It's like watching reality TV.

SDaniels Nov. 29, 2009 @ 1:28 a.m.

rickey, I understand your basic platform, but you take it too far, and expect extremes of what you deem to be the 'opposite' of your views. To support your basic platform that we are all instinct, impulse, and genetics, with very little else, you keep stating things like "more and more evidence comes out over time linking more and more behaviors we once thought of as choices to our genetics," or you suggest that we go watch Zoo TV.

However, you don't clearly explain away social phenomena, and you will never be able to, because there is going to be just as much research showing how we are beings that grow intellectually and perceptually over a lifetime, picking up social cues, in the form of biases and affinities, wherever we go. We are complex structures of both genetic and socially learned behaviors. Sometimes I think that you stick to the former and deny the latter because it allows you to form opinions about how certain groups of people are genetically less intelligent than others. What do you think--could this be your ultimate personal bias, no doubt acquired culturally?

David Dodd Nov. 29, 2009 @ 1:37 a.m.

Rickey, I have no pets and do not believe in the concept of a zoo. Monkeys sling poo and masturbate because, hell, they're locked up in a cage, what else are they going to do? Lock me up in a cage, and you can sign me up for a lot of poo slinging and masturbation. It seems appropriate behavior in such circumstances.

RobertScorpio Nov. 29, 2009 @ 10:20 a.m.

Preloaded...maybe not. But we are all raised in environments where we are 'uploaded' with views of the world that are peppered with stereotypes.

And, SDANIES, I don't care how you respond to this; but YOU will not pull over to help everyone. You can say you will, but I know humanity far to well to know you won't. I cant tell already that many of the people on this site wouldn't pull over to help a black gangsta looking, hell I wouldn't. And SDanels, neither would you.

Luckly for you they all drive Escalades that aren't about to break down on the side of the road.

Josh Board Nov. 29, 2009 @ 2:56 p.m.

Scorp...because someone wouldn't pull over to help just anyone, really doesn't prove much.

I used to always pull over and help people. Most often when their car needed to be pushed to a gas station, and I saw them struggling with one person steering and one pushing.

The reason I stop less now is because...EVERYONE has a cell phone. So they won't be stranded for long (I figure). They also have those boxes on the freeway for phone calls (I used one once before I had a cell phone, and it worked wonderfully)

Rickey...your monkey premise is very flawed. If we just walk around going by our instincts, I'm guessing people would just walk into stores and steal food, rape women, and every man would be cheating on his wife.

So, instead of going on and on with your goofy monkey theories.....which really don't prove a lot. I think most of us agree, we are animals. Or that we became humans evoling from apes and monkeys (hi Fred). But so what.

RobertScorpio Nov. 29, 2009 @ 4:37 p.m.

Sorry Josh, once again you are living in some 'ideal' reality in your brain. Most people do not pull over to help anyone; for the same reason they don't try to stop a shoplifter right in front of them; they are afraid. I still remember a long ago episode of COPS where they showed the number of cars that passed by a 'staged' abandoned motorist. I doubt much has changed in the era of cellphones.

You say you don't pull over now because most people have cells? So you are at least pulling over to ask them if they have a cell righ? Or to make sure if they do its charged, just to be sure right??? Wouldn't want to know that they got knifed to death by some whacko simply because they were left on the side of the road by other drivers because everyone assumed they had a cellphone.

Sorry, I ain't buying it.

Josh Board Nov. 29, 2009 @ 7:07 p.m.

Well, I agree that a lot of people don't stop because of the fear of doing it. But a lot of other things are going on as well.

First, I don't know jack about cars. I can barely put a tire on a jack, for that matter. So what good is it for me to stop?

Yes, on two occasions, I've stopped and offered them the use of my cell phone. And they told me they already had it covered.

I even parked a great distance in front of them, and didn't walk all the way over, so the women wouldn't have anything to worry about.

Anyway, you have to consider so much before pulling over. Do you have time to do this, or are you heading somewhere you need to be by a certain time?

What if someone hits me, while I'm pulled over helping them? What if they carjack me? What if this is all a big ploy to get robbed?

vs

Am I really going to be providing any help at all?