My family, during the holidays, will get together a few times for feast and for good times. And usually this means, after eating, we all sit around and play...BALDERDASH.

This is the greatest game for all kinds of people. If you haven't played, it goes like this. The game comes with oodles of cards that contain words, strange real words, from all over the world. Your job is to secretly create a definition of one of these words, just at the other players do too.

The definitions are handed in, and one by one they are read. Then, after they are read, each person votes for the definition they believe is the actual definition. The actual definition is also in stack of definitions. Some people may actually know the real definition due to their travels around the world, others might actually guess it. But most people will vote for the crazy definitions created by the players. Its real fun..real real fun.

This holiday season will be no different. I am already committed to three games of this. Tomorrow, Thanksgiving, will be round one. The next time will be the first Sunday in December when the family gets together for our monthly breakfast at the Hometown Buffet. And the finale will take place on XMAS week; and I intend to win them...ALL!!!

And why not? I'm pretty hip, and I seem to write the best definitions. But this year my sister is bringing her new husband. He has never played this game with us, but he has in the past. He may be my toughest challenge.

So, this week, I am starting to write down defintions already. I want them ready to go when the game comes. Because I will not lose: I am the reigning champ from 2008 holidays!!! I WILL NOT BE BEATEN!!!

Let the Balderdash war begin!!! Or as I call it..

BALDERDASH 2009!!!! HOLIDAY BLOOD BATH!!!!

More like this:

Comments

DaniLauder Nov. 25, 2009 @ 9:13 a.m.

Cool topic Mr.Scorpio. I'm a single mom so the best game I will play is Operation with my kids on Christmas day after we open our presents. In my house boardgames are not played too often since my two kids are more into whatever DS game they are playing at the time. I got my self the first season of Grey's Anatomy and will wait to watch it until Christmas

magicsfive Nov. 25, 2009 @ 9:26 a.m.

LOL...sounds fun for the holiday get together. i am actually going to suggest this to friends and family when we are together tomorrow. should be a little EXTRA fun after a few egg nogs :D... Happy Thanksgiving :)

RobertScorpio Nov. 25, 2009 @ 9:39 a.m.

Magicsfive, it is amazing what kind of definitions people will come up with. Some of them are so funny,its hard to read them back without laughing and ruining it for the person who came up with it. You have two types of players as best as I can tell (by the way, we got a new BALDERDASH board JUST last night at Target for 20$).

1. The ones who think they are smart and come up with what they think are the best definitions.

2. Then you have others that keep it simple.

Ms. Lauder. I have to admit that I didn't play much Operation growng up. I had three older sisters, and they always liked playing doctor with me. No sure why.

magicsfive Nov. 25, 2009 @ 9:41 a.m.

lol well i just talked to my friend and she said it's on. i'm excited! i love silly games, or, should i say, games when you're silly :) i'm gonna go buy it right now!

RobertScorpio Nov. 25, 2009 @ 9:46 a.m.

Target will thank you.

I made my wife's day today when I told her I would let her spend $400 this friday on black-friday. She wanted me to get up with her at 4am and go with her. Well, I get up everyday at 4am to go to work so I said, thank you, but no.

I may sound sexist here, sorry if I do, but I bet 80% of the people getting up at those crazy hours to go shopping are women. Just to make sure I 'get' something, I got her an F-STREET BOOK STORE giftcard to use. One can only WONDER what will be available on black friday there!

magicsfive Nov. 25, 2009 @ 10:09 a.m.

f-street, huh? ;) nice! i don't do the black friday thing. not much of a shopper. i still have to go out and get the last minute items for tomorrow lol. target will be next stop. i think i will pick up scrabble too!

RobertScorpio Nov. 25, 2009 @ 10:28 a.m.

I was recently at FSTREET, for reasons I won't go into, but I was surprised at how many 'normal' looking, middle aged people there were there. Husbands and wifes even. I remember turning 18, centuries ago, and finally being able to go in there and being embarrassed. It had the 'seedy' look to it, and the dude at the counter looked like a perv..and well..

This last week when I went, the counter was ran by this real cool Filipino lady and the place was clean, void of that funk smell from the past.

And, thankfully in my case, their edible attire section had grown over the years too.

magicsfive Nov. 25, 2009 @ 10:38 a.m.

LMAO....edible section..that stuff doesn't taste all that good and it gets stuck in your throat :). i have a friend who works there. they all dress like they're business men. dress shirts, ties, you know. we know the real deal though ;)

RobertScorpio Nov. 25, 2009 @ 11:11 a.m.

Before this becomes another Adam Lambert festival, I want to point out, right here and now, that the edible panties were NOT for me to wear. JUST KIDDING!!! (well, about the second part of that statement; just to be sure)

As for the taste? I'll let you know tomorrow!!! LOL

magicsfive Nov. 25, 2009 @ 11:39 a.m.

LOL i thought no such thing. but yes, do tell ;)

DaniLauder Nov. 25, 2009 @ 11:44 a.m.

Doctor with your sisters that is so wrong Mr. Scorpio I cant even explain why. I hope for all our sakes that it was only the eye examination part of the game.

magicsfive Nov. 25, 2009 @ 11:47 a.m.

i am assuming, ms. lauder, that they were very small children. children are naturally curious. boundaries? what are boundaries? ;)

PistolPete Nov. 25, 2009 @ 12:16 p.m.

F Street FTW!!! I need to get a job there.

RobertScorpio Nov. 25, 2009 @ 12:38 p.m.

Use us as references Pete. Although, I am not sure that would be a good thing, knowing some of the characters around this place.

magicsfive Nov. 25, 2009 @ 12:45 p.m.

you could TOTALLY use me for a reference pete..i am still recovering from that link ;)

RobertScorpio Nov. 25, 2009 @ 2:43 p.m.

Is that Ross Perot when he was a kid???

magicsfive Nov. 25, 2009 @ 3:03 p.m.

how did you get the link to work robert? it said account inactive for me :(

PistolPete Nov. 25, 2009 @ 3:09 p.m.

Hmmmm. It said account inactive as well. Photobucket sucks. Let me try imageshack instead.

RobertScorpio Nov. 25, 2009 @ 3:16 p.m.

That worked, and it looked like a larger picture too

PistolPete Nov. 25, 2009 @ 3:19 p.m.

BINGO!!!! This link SHOULD work, magics. Thereby negating the premise of the humor....lol.

DaniLauder Nov. 25, 2009 @ 3:26 p.m.

My sister and I did not have a brother so we had play female clinic when we played doctor. I guess it was innocent enough so I do understand the bounderies part of your post.

magicsfive Nov. 25, 2009 @ 4:36 p.m.

oh eww...whatever it it add it to my list of fears, next to robots lol... well ms. lauder i think every child experiments. i grew up with neither brother nor sisters but there was little timmy from up the street....

Josh Board Nov. 25, 2009 @ 4:42 p.m.

Balderdash is a fun game. But there are so many better ones: Taboo and Scattegories, to name a few.

Also Scorp, you're wrong about Black Friday. I used to think that more women did all that shopping. Especially after they trampled that poor security guard at Wal Mart a few years back.

But on the news, I often see MOSTLY MEN, in line at the places like Best Buy, hoping to get some electronical equipment at discounted prices.

magicsfive Nov. 25, 2009 @ 4:48 p.m.

we all played scattergories last time we got together. i did get balderdash and scrabble though :)

RobertScorpio Nov. 25, 2009 @ 5:29 p.m.

What we "guys" get at Best Buy are necessities, thus totally understandable in the grand scheme of things. 4am for Sears? That's torture, and purely estrogen driven

MsGrant Nov. 25, 2009 @ 6:10 p.m.

"I made my wife's day today when I told her I would let her spend $400 this friday on black-friday."

Awwww, aren't you just the big, generous lug? Wow, 400 big ones. Are you sure that won't break the bank? Are you going to LET her use what she buys?

Sears? THE home and appliance store SEARS? Again, you prove how little you know about women.

As anti said recently, I have to against all my better judgement and agree with Josh. The lines outside most stores are filled with men looking for appliances and gadgets. Not women looking for clothes or whatever your pea-brain thinks we are after.

I hate malls and shopping, and think that women should be investing their money and not spending it on crap that has been forced down their throats. We are responsible for a large percentage of the gross domestic product, yet our expenditures are mostly related to the beautification/adornment of ourselves. Once women wake up and realize that their social-economic status is drastically reduced by spending their money on garbage Madison Avenue pressures them into buying lest they be construed as something less than perfect, and start putting their money into their investments, we will no longer be accused of being the ones trampling the guy at WalMart. And I can honestly say that the men were responsible for that fiasco. Mob-mentality usually affects men, not women.

RobertScorpio Nov. 25, 2009 @ 7:41 p.m.

Really? How do explain the crazy 'mobs' of women on those old Beatles concert films. Or Elvis? Sorry, I am right, you are wrong. Tomorrow when they show footage of all those people crushing through those lines, as always, it will be slightly overweight women buying things for their kids and husbands; as it should be.

CuddleFish Nov. 25, 2009 @ 7:53 p.m.

By MsGrant 6:10 p.m., Nov 25, 2009

As a reward, she'll get to give him a BJ like when he submits to watching a chick lit flick with him [see other thread if you didn't understand the reference.]. That's one lucky girl.

Josh Board Nov. 25, 2009 @ 8:03 p.m.

I agree entirely with MsGs post.

And Scorp, here's the problem with your argument. I'm not saying men don't need to go to Best Buy to buy things that are necessities (although, tell me how a better cam-corder or plasma screen is a must-have). But..you are talking about BLACK FRIDAY, and lines at 4 a.m.

And, from what I've seen, it's men waiting to get into Best Buy. If Home Depot was opening up at 5 a.m. on Friday, the dudes would be lined up there, too!

Josh Board Nov. 25, 2009 @ 8:05 p.m.

Oh, and knocking women for mobbing Elvis or Sir Paul...uh, okay. But that makes a lot more sense than Sports Illustrated having their biggest selling issue be the swimsuit edition. That's the craziest thing ever. Men can see prettier women in a catalog (not just a Victoria's Secret one, either).

That issue is my least favorite, as it has so little about sports.

MsGrant Nov. 25, 2009 @ 8:08 p.m.

"And your wife is a slightly overweight women buying things for their kids and husbands; as it should be."

You have my sympathy. Pig. You have just described your wife.

RobertScorpio Nov. 25, 2009 @ 8:19 p.m.

Name calling, really. How very predictable. If you can't detect the sarcasm coming from my mouth, then put your nose up to my butt as sniff my gas. You might get more pleasure.

Oh..Oink oink

RobertScorpio Nov. 25, 2009 @ 8:22 p.m.

I'm not mocking them Josh, I'm just pointing out her mistake. She says women do not fall under the so called "mob mentality". A very sexist comment, though of course, its okay because she's a woman.

Yet, look at those women in those video tapes mobbing after the Beatles, or Elvis, or heck, Adam Lambert.

And as for not liking the Swimsuit issue of Sports Ilustrated? Perhaps I am channeling my inner "gayness" for liking Lady Gaga (all her fans are gay they say). And you're channeling your "inner gayness" by not liking the swimsuit issue. Its all realitive.

PistolPete Nov. 25, 2009 @ 8:23 p.m.

I'm moving on Saturday. As I was helping two of my roommates pack today, one of them came into the living room. She sat down because she's 81 years old and can't do much. We got to talkin' about all the s in this apartment. She says,"Where did all this stuff come from?" I about s a brick. Her daughter has taken two weeks, between bingo and work, to pack her s. I packed up mine in 30 minutes. Ths is coming from a woman who has spent around $2,000 on cooking gadgets, broilers, etc, etc through QVC. She told me that at one time in her life she had 118 pairs of slacks. That's not a typo. Who on Earth needs 118 pairs of slacks? On Friday, I'm going to be buying 4 pairs of jeans during a BOGO sale at the fat guy's store. They'll last me a year. She's got the audacity to ask me where all the s came from? Hmmmmm. Let's see here Inspector Clouseau.

80% of participants in Black Friday sales are women and gay men. If my GF ever wanted me to get up at 3:00 in the morning to go shopping in a building full of complete morons, I'd tell her to get fed. I'd say it just like that too. GET FED!

MsGrant Nov. 25, 2009 @ 8:32 p.m.

Yawn. Once again I have failed to see the error of my ways.

RobertScorpio Nov. 26, 2009 @ 8:40 a.m.

Do not fret Msgrant; This man, this, what did you call me, "pig", will always be here to show you the way. Leash optional.

Josh Board Nov. 26, 2009 @ 10:50 a.m.

Scorp, again, you have another flaw in your argument. You brought up "mob mentality".

And you talk about the Beatles, Elvis, and Lambert. I don't think girls going crazy over those people is "mob mentality".

I didn't see women jumping on Adam when he left the Late Show last night, the way the Beatles were when they left that very same building.

And the women on these boards, that like Lambert...they aren't saying they like him because mobs and mobs of women like him.

And lastly, I DO NOT THINK (even if it is a majority of women on Black Friday) that they are going there because they LIKE the mobs. They are going because they like shopping. Or they want to get in on the sales, or whatever other reason. They aren't doing it BECAUSE it's the thing to do on the Friday following turkey day.

RobertScorpio Nov. 26, 2009 @ 11:07 a.m.

The percentage of people going shopping on Black Friday? The majority of these people will be women. For the same reason there were 400 dorks standing outside of BEST BUY last week to get that new game. Tell you what I will do; I am assigning you the task of going out there, not just to BEST BUY (where men will be) but I want you to go to sears...target..wallmart..jcpennys...clairs...Old Navy...and you do a head count. Report back to us on Saturday.