So, my daughter, who has suffered through several episodes of Hawaii Five-0, and Star Trek movies recently, cashed in her chips with me and made me watch...ugghhh..Twilite. I had never seen this movie, I had heard of it though. She has this dude's posters all over her room. I think he, Edward, looks like a cross between the Joker and Matt Dillon, but what do I know? When I was a teenager girls were drooling over John Stamos and Don Johnson. The times have changed!

The new TWILITE is coming out tomorrow and she wants me to take her. So we watched the first one this past weekend, which I got for her on BLURAY a few months back.

It’s your typical daytime soap story but with vampires instead of the usual roughneck/mob teenaged boys. The girl, Belle, is one of these innocent virgin type girls with ‘questionable’ parents and she is just starving to be accepted.

Of course she is attracted to the ‘loner’ Matt Dillon type fellow who is the roughest of the roughnecks. Have you seen the show Parental Control? This guy is one of those guys you don’t want your daughter to date, but she wants to date because she believes she can tame him. Its soap-opera 101. I saw this with Luke Spenser and Sonny Corrinthos, two of Soap Opera's worst male characters of all times!!!

My daughter denies this is why she and all her friends (my daughter is 15) like the movie. But we all know the truth. I saw a recent article trying to explain this fixation with roughnecks that women have. It’s an instinctive thing. It’s the old “alpha male” thing playing out in a more subtle way. And it sells!!!

And, okay; I have to admit I thought it was okay, WHEN seen through the eyes of a teenager. I prefer my teenaged movies (Fast Times—Breakfast Club) but I can see the allure it has on her and her friends. Teenage boys are drooling over Transformers and Superhero movies. The girls are drooling over vampires and werewolves.

So, this weekend I will be going to see the new Twilite. I will be surrounded by a bunch of teenage nymphs as they drool over vampires and werewolves. Gee, I can’t wait.

Comments

PistolPete Nov. 19, 2009 @ 8:48 p.m.

Here's a thought, Robert....why not let her go see it with her friends?

RobertScorpio Nov. 19, 2009 @ 9:01 p.m.

Its more of the "since you made me watch Star Trek and Hawaii Five-0, its time for you to see something I like". I made this deal with my wife too, so now I have the first season of GREY's ANATOMY to look forward to this Christmas. Oh boy, i can't wait!

PistolPete Nov. 19, 2009 @ 9:04 p.m.

Fair enough. Honest answer. I can appreciate that.

RobertScorpio Nov. 19, 2009 @ 9:07 p.m.

Daughters, especially 15 year old daughters, are so 'crazy'. I think Bill Cosby put it best when he said they are brain damaged. I think he was being easy on them.

I vote we bring back the Chastity belts!!! (JUST kidding....well...maybe)

PistolPete Nov. 19, 2009 @ 9:24 p.m.

You'll do fine, Robert...you'll do fine.

RobertScorpio Nov. 20, 2009 @ 1:01 a.m.

This just in!!!

I am off the hook. She is indeed going with her friends on Saturday instead..whew. I dodged a bullet on that one; at least until part three comes out next summer!!!

Though, she did tell me that the Jonas Brothers might be coming to San Diego in April of next year...Oh oh

Great!

PistolPete Nov. 20, 2009 @ 8:36 a.m.

I'd rather take Twilite. The Jonas Bros. make me want to punch babies in the forehead.

PistolPete Nov. 20, 2009 @ 8:39 a.m.

Not to mention, there's a distinct difference between our media and the new generation's media. Ours was awesome. Theirs just plain sucks. Unfortunetely, you'll have an easier time f***in' a polar bear in the desert than you would explain subtle nuances between the two to your daughter.

DaniLauder Nov. 20, 2009 @ 10:38 a.m.

I actually like both. I know I shouldn't but I do. Nothing like buff guys running around half naked trying to protect an innocent girl like Belle. I think it is romantic. As for Mr. Scorpio? I think girls like these movies because their parents do not understand them.

RobertScorpio Nov. 20, 2009 @ 12:57 p.m.

That girl was on Conan a couple nights back. She is actually pretty attractive, but very pale. And her choice of wardrobe was awful.

As for not understanding my daughter? That has always been, and always will be, the truth. But I can't help it!!! I grew up with three sisters, so I know all about crazy teenaged girls. These newer models, these modern teengirls, are in a league of their own!

DaniLauder Nov. 20, 2009 @ 5:30 p.m.

You should read this Robert. You might get a kick out of it. I agree with the sentiment though. Not all of it.

The Vatican has condemned The Twilight Saga: New Moon, a Hollywood teen film about vampires and werewolves, as “dangerous” and morally empty.

PistolPete Nov. 20, 2009 @ 5:56 p.m.

Dangerous? No. Morally empty? Yup. The Vatican? I hope some Muslim blows that place up next-WITH the pope inside.

RobertScorpio Nov. 20, 2009 @ 7:41 p.m.

Thanks for that link. Didn't they also attack the Harry Potter movies? I don't think you need to be worried about these TWILITE movies. I liken them to John Hughes movies, but with vampires.

I just want to know what girls find appealing about this Edward fellow. He looks like Matt Dillon without any blood in his veins.

PistolPete Nov. 20, 2009 @ 9 p.m.

"I liken them to John Hughes movies, but with vampires."

BLASPHEMY!!!!! You take that back you sumbitch! LOL!