"OOOOOHHH...It's Halloween!" --King Diamond, from "Halloween" on FATAL PORTRAIT.

Hey, folks...I'm back!

On Saturday, we celebrate All Hallow's Eve, aka Halloween. This night is every kid's fantasy (dress up in a costume, get free stuff from your neighbors), every dentist's nightmare (all those cavities from the ingested candy), and every killjoy's bete noir ("Satanic" Overtones of said night being celebrated).

We have jack o'lanterns on our porches (useful targets of punks with Louisville Sluggers), kind folks with bowls of sweetmeats to hand out (and to be ingested only after taking the haul to the ER for an x-ray check), scary movies on the tube ("It's Time...For Freddy!"--and fresh underwear after each showing), and front yards ripe for TP'ing (notice how much Charmin gets sold before All Hallow's Eve?).

We have folks in costume out for holiday schwag (be it candy--or the cash and credit cards in your wallet), adults celebrating at their favorite watering hole (and the local cops setting up DUI checkpoints in town to catch some of them), and bonfires burning well into the night (some set with gasoline and a box of matches, with an old house (or a convienent Hummer) providing the fuel).

Sometimes, you have to wonder what is much more frightening...Frankie, Drac, Freddy, Doc Lecter, Jason--or some of those who "celebrate" All Hallow's Eve by acting more monsterous than the monsters we are celebrating on that night?

From poison-and-steel in goodies to be given to the kiddies (a man was executed in Texas for poisoning his son's Halloween candy--and the kid--to collect insurance money), to robbery, vandalism, driving while wasted, all forms of assault, and even outright homicide? Yeah, we really don't need Freddy, Wolfie, Pinhead, or Hannibal The Cannibal to frighten the cheese out of us on screen...not while real monsters exist just outside our doors!

Still, there is no real reason to ban Halloween, as some folks who have Satan-On-The-Brain suggest year-after-year. For just as the next day (November 1) is All Saints Day, so All Hallow's Eve is our night to let the inner dark in each of us safely be relaxed and celebrated.

For me, however, I have no plan on being here to hand out treats to the kiddies here at Vista Ranch. I'm headed out to a party at Smitty's, and gonna party sober! After I get back, I'll flip on the 'Net to see how much damage the real-life monsters did on a night dedicated to the monsters that haunt our dreams...and stay there!

Top Ten Halloween Songs (Modern Era):

10: "Thing That Should No Be"--Metallica 09: "Tubular Bells"--Them From "The Exorcist" 08. "Bark At The Moon"--Ozzy Osbourne 07: "Heaven Is Hell"--Accept 06: "Hell"--Squirrel Nut Zippers 05: "Nightcrawler"--Judas Priest 04: "Theme From 'A Nighmare Before Christmas.'" 03: "The Number Of The Beast"--Iron Maiden 02: "Seasons In The Abyss"--Slayer 01: "Theme From 'Halloween'"--John Capenter.

("Monster Mash" isn't from the modern rock era, btw...but I still like it.) --RKJ

Comments

CuddleFish Oct. 29, 2009 @ 1:23 p.m.

Nice to have you back, RobbieBear! :)

FullFlavorPike Oct. 29, 2009 @ 1:34 p.m.

"Feed My Frankenstein" hereby suggested as an alternate in the event that the Squirrel Nut Zippers won't let you use their song!

antigeekess Oct. 29, 2009 @ 2:47 p.m.

Robbie, if you're going to put the word "Samhain" in the title along with "Halloween," the blog should be 50/50, in my opinion.

Halloween has very little in common with the pagan high holiday, which isn't represented here at all.

I GET TETCHY ABOUT THAT!!!

(Big Ole Samhain Cauldron of Warm Fire & Seasonal Love to Ya.)

;)

CuddleFish Oct. 29, 2009 @ 2:49 p.m.

What is Samhain? I hear it mentioned a lot, and am too lazy to google it. :)

antigeekess Oct. 29, 2009 @ 2:54 p.m.

It's only Wikipedia, but it's good enough for now. I think we covered this recently, Cuddle. Samhain is the pagan high holiday of the fall, opposite Beltane (spring fertility festival) on the calendar. It's the original holiday upon which Halloween is LOOSELY based.

I posted some really nice-looking pages then, I think. Check it out.

Back to studies.

antigeekess Oct. 29, 2009 @ 11:25 p.m.

Okay, Cuddle. Here are those Samhain webpages I mentioned. I had cited them on one of Pike's entries a couple weeks back:

And I think this one is just one of the prettiest little webpages I've ever seen:

"Halloween." Hrumpf!

CuddleFish Oct. 29, 2009 @ 11:36 p.m.

Those are all interesting references, including the earlier one in Wikipedia. It said in there that you pronounce it Saun?

Is this a significant holiday to you?

As far as your last comment, is Halloween offensive to you, or just that Samhein is mentioned in the same breath?

Sorry, I don't know much about this.

antigeekess Oct. 29, 2009 @ 11:52 p.m.

I've always heard it pronouced Sow-un. Celtic. It's funky.

Well, I don't call myself a pagan at all, but if it's down to a fight between them and Christians, guess which side I'm on. :)

I just object to the Americanization/commercialization/cartoonization of all the (originally pagan) holidays, in general. They were once meaningful festivals, with an element of soul. This one, in particular, is their high holiday.

I've only ever been to one Samhain circle. It was neat. Like I think I said before, the spirit of Samhain is closer to Dia de los Muertos than it is Halloween.

SunshinePaul Oct. 30, 2009 @ 3:06 a.m.

Greetings!

I'm a member of the pagan community and will be celebrating Hallowe'en as Samhain.

I've made a funny music video to celebrate!

Hope you enjoy!

Hope you enjoy!

Samhuinn Blessings,

Paul Newman, England. http://sunshinepaul.blogspot.com/

antigeekess Oct. 30, 2009 @ 6:09 a.m.

Re #9:

Huzzah! It appears that in this "best of all possible worlds," the best of all possible people has weighed in on this thread. :)

Nice to meet ya, SunshinePaul.

Have a beautiful Samhain!