"Some forms of entertainment do not require batteries...or a college degree to operate!" --James B. Johnston (my uncle)

One of my favorite pasttimes is to sit down with a good book, and read for hours--and pleasure! It's like visiting an old friend...or in the case of a newly-acquired book, getting to know a new buddy.

Right now, I am reading "Nazis, Communists, Klansmen, and Others On The Fringe" by John George and Laird Wilcox. This book is a study of fringe groups on both political wings, and for a academic-type book, it's a good read.

Most of the books in my "library" run towards non-fiction types. I have true crime stories, trivia, humor, current events, militaria, and other fun subjects. In my fiction section, I have Tom Clancy, Larry Bond, Fredrick Forsyth, W.E.B. Grfiin, Mario Puzo, Bill Cannutz, and Harold Coyle.

Now, I know that the "future trend" is to e-books, where you can plunk down your credit card over the Internet and have books uploaded onto a special reader. However, for the present, print beats the living cheese out of e-books.

Why? Simple--with e-books, you often are limited to one sales outlet or another (suuch as Amazon) for your selections. Print books can be found anywhere--and for much less cost. My favorite haunts are public library bookstores, for example. Lots of good reading material to be had--and for bargain prices as well!

I also feel right at home at a Barnes & Noble, Borders, or Waldenbooks. Give me $100 and a small shopping cart, and I can get plent of good reading material--enough to keep me going for six months!

And, of course, a good neighborhood book-store can't be beat for titles that you may have seen earlier in your life...or for some "new friends" that you can pass along after you are done reading them.

Whether is is leaving Borders with a bunch of discounted titles, or getting a package from Amazon or Daedelus Books--each tome is a prize worth both keeping and sharing. Two of my latest purchases are faux "travel guides" to Phaic Tan (Fake Tan), and San Sombrero. Both are put out by Jetlag Books, and they are a hoot to read!

Another book I got was "Literary Lust," by Stella Hyde. It's a small book about the hornier side of literary classics like "Moll Flanders" and "The Great Gatsby." Good for a light read, but keep it out of the hands of young kids, dirty old men, or any Junior Birdmen you might know!

Books, unlike Kindle or other e-readers, not only are more eco-friendly (and last much longer), but also are not subject to viruses, worms, and other e-hazards that come with downloading things from websites (not to mention the odd wipe-out of your literary files by your on-line book source). You do not need batteries--or a college degree--to open a book and enjoy a good session of reading.

As a budding writer, I look forward to the day that my books will be in the hands of millions (and used as bird-cage liners by who-knows how many others). Be it in e-book form, or in print, I'll still have the satisfaction of knowing I added to Humanity's quest for knowledge (or a future Johnny-5's "quest for major input.").

That's something to look forwatrd to for me!

--RKJ

More like this:

Comments

CuddleFish Oct. 19, 2009 @ 10:13 a.m.

No Kindle for me!!

I love my books and paperbacks, they are like old friends. :)

antigeekess Oct. 19, 2009 @ 11:17 a.m.

Kindle: Just one more little screen in your life, in case your eyeballs weren't seared enough.

None for me, thanks. My dried-out old peepers can't take one more bit of electronica to stare at.

O_O

nan shartel Oct. 19, 2009 @ 1:10 p.m.

right on Robbiebear...

i can't use an E Book to put me to sleep...so print is the thing!!!

SDaniels Oct. 19, 2009 @ 1:16 p.m.

I can't wait to get one. Just think of all the books IMMEDIATELY available to you--sigh.

FullFlavorPike Oct. 20, 2009 @ 12:52 a.m.

The only failing of books is that they weigh a million pounds and therefore suck to carry around with you from crappy, lightless torture dungeon to seedy, dank torture dungeon when you're young and move a lot.

FullFlavorPike Oct. 20, 2009 @ 12:52 a.m.

PS - Everything else about them is awesome!

antigeekess Oct. 20, 2009 @ 1:10 a.m.

Some of us are OLD and STILL move around a lot from crappy, lightless torture dungeon to seedy, dank torture dungeon.

We have LOTS of books by then, too.

And the moral of the story is:

Listen to your father, and don't major in Liberal Arts.

FullFlavorPike Oct. 20, 2009 @ 1:15 a.m.

Yup. Learn computers. Limitless storage on a half-ounce flash drive.

SDaniels Oct. 20, 2009 @ 2:15 a.m.

I don't think getting a Kindle is going to stop my furtive habit of ferreting books to my lightless/seedy/dank/torturous dungeon.

Robert Johnston Oct. 20, 2009 @ 10:37 a.m.

Maybe you should't make a place with no light, no ambiance,and smells like a mold factory going into three-shift high output a place to enjoy a book-or-two. Flip on the lights, unleash some "industrial strength" air freshener (or open a few windows),turn on the stereo, pull up a chair, and enjoy!

FFP: Hate to tell ya, bud, but even flash drives have limits, in both storage capability and life-span. I use a laptop for all of my work (on/off-line), and no matter how many GBs or TBs your drive has, they eventually reach their limits.

I always archive my important work (hard-copy plus binder, or on DVD-RW disk) to prevent it from going buh-bye when I need it most! I also have found out that "flash card" storage (as in the ones for digital cameras) also hold data rather well. So, I tend to use these rather than flash drive sticks for my archival storage (with hard copy and DVD-RW as my backups).

New blog entry later tonight!

--RKJ

SDaniels Oct. 20, 2009 @ 3:44 p.m.

10: For what it's worth: RKJ, an IT expert (head of a prominent Web site company) told me the best way to store my data is on the flash drives (USB sticks), and to also back up on a big portable drive.

PS: I at least was joking about the dungeon thing. Call it poetic license :)

Look forward to your new blog!