Mercy Baron 11:30 a.m., July 23
Should Balboa Park be Privatized?
Take a look at the controversial new report about Balboa Park and possible privatization of services there
San Diego mayor Jerry Sanders says he's a big fan of privatization of vital city services, but so far hasn't done that much about it. Now comes a report that suggests expanding the concept to Balboa Park and perhaps raising taxes to boot. A lot of it sounds like a non-starter to many old time observers of what does and doesn't get done at city hall:
"Finally, there is a role for the private sector to provide services that are not central to the core mission of the Park, increasing the overall resources available for investment in new and improved facilities and providing for adequate maintenance. Although daunting, the Park’s financial condition is not unsolvable. Hard times call for hard choices but a sufficient number of options exist to develop a workable financing plan.
Let us know what you think and we'll share it with our readers.
More like this:
- Ex-Sanders aide gets $6,000 a month for Balboa Park centennial role — Feb. 13, 2013
- Jacobs says he is bowing out of Balboa Park makeover — Feb. 5, 2013
- What's Wrong with Balboa Park? — July 30, 2008
- San Diego's CEO or King? — Oct. 27, 2005
- City Hall's Shell Game — Oct. 21, 1999