The summer was over. I had the cash in hand from the sale of my ’29 project and Mario’s garage was ready.

The Styleline made its last trip powered by that 58 year old 216. Sheep to the slaughter.

The day that it was backed into the garage at Mario’s, we had the grill and bumperettes off. The radiator was next. Image

Here’s the plan:

• Remove the entire original drivetrain.

• Build new motor mounts for the hopped up 250 that will be going in.

• Build a new transmission crossmember for the 700r4.

• Mount up the 4X4 S10 rear end.

• Lower the car with custom fabbed blocks and cut coils. The car will be level, no rake. Tops of the white on the tires lined up with the lip of the fender opening.

• Take the Radiator to Eskimo in El Cajon to be re-cored and have the mounting flanges flipped so the longer 250 will fit.

• Use the stock 3 speed shifter assembly, minus 1 shift rod, to shift the automatic transmission.

• Mount a transmission cooler to the frame rail.

• Repair a hole in the transmission pan.

Once the engine was out I spent some quality time prepping and painting the engine compartment satin black… That and drinking a couple of beers at Mario’s. Image

Mario has the perfect pad for working on your car, hanging out and having fun. The three car, detached garage is well stocked with tools and the fridge is always full of Tecate. All that and Mario is a hell of a good fabricator and sheetmetal man. Guys are always stopping by to give a hand.

The best part is that it’s only 3 minutes from my house.

Mario worked his magic on my car, the hand fabricated motor mounts and lowering blocks are a work of art. Image

Mario finished his part of the build and the ’52 is now back in my garage. Image

While I waited for funds, time and for me to make up my damn mind on how to proceed, I got the itch and bought a major distraction to the ’52 project. My 1959 Apache is a different story, though. Let’s just say that the Styleline has been stuck in the garage all winter and spring while I dream different dreams.

• Joe

Comments

Joe Poutous May 11, 2010 @ 10:15 p.m.

Just an authors note.. the car went to Mario's at the start of winter last year. I just have not written in a long time and have some catching up to do!

• Joe

David Dodd May 12, 2010 @ 12:27 a.m.

Sweet, Joe! You're making me miss having a garage.

nan shartel May 12, 2010 @ 12:33 a.m.

definitely Refried...every man needs a mancave to work in

David Dodd May 12, 2010 @ 12:40 a.m.

I have an office here Nan, which is awesome, but I do miss having somewhere I can turn a wrench. I also miss having a yard, planting tomatos, other activities. When Mexico finally gets around to running electricity to my land, I'll eventually build and have those things again, but in the mean time I'll live by showing my mancard vicariously through Joe ;)

CuddleFish May 12, 2010 @ 6:52 a.m.

Darn it, Joe, I've been waiting to hear about your trailer project!

antigeekess May 12, 2010 @ 7:22 a.m.

BTW, your Tikiness, they're thinking of getting rid of this:

So if you haven't yet made your pilgrimage to this shrine of high Tiki, you'd better hurry. Just a little heads up.

Joe Poutous May 12, 2010 @ 7:23 a.m.

I finally cleaned my garage. For the longest time I was unable to paint out there, all the art I created had to happen inside the house. Pencils & Acrylics only. There was simply no room in the huge mess.

Now I can paint out there again!

1-Shot lettering enamel and the reducers really smell horrible.

• Joe

Joe Poutous May 12, 2010 @ 7:39 a.m.

RE: #7 - Oh NO!!

Don't they know that they will upset the tiki gods and bring run-soaked wrath upon themselves?

I can smell the tiki-torch fuel burning and hear the surf guitars in the distance...

• Joe

Joe Poutous May 12, 2010 @ 7:43 a.m.

Oh... CF - I sold that trailer to Mario as partial payment for his work. It really needed more work than I had time or skills to do.

I will be getting one, though.

MsGrant May 12, 2010 @ 8:38 a.m.

"I got the itch and bought a major distraction to the ’52 project. My 1959 Apache is a different story, though. Let’s just say that the Styleline has been stuck in the garage all winter and spring while I dream different dreams"

I think you married guys substitute cars for women!! Tiki, your car is awesome!! When I was a kid, there was a garage down the street that my dad used to go hang out at. He worked for IBM, but he had an old 'vette and he would take it there on the weekend and tinker and drink beer with the guys. My mother wasn't always happy about it, but it was almost a primal need for my engineer dad to have a project he could call his own and buddies that shared his devotion. Sometimes we kids would stroll down there and just hang out with him and watch. He's gone now, but your story brought back some fond memories.

CuddleFish May 12, 2010 @ 11:21 a.m.

LOL I was going to post earlier that it was a testament to the strengh of Joe's marriage that his wife supported his car projects! :) My first instinct was to post It's. Just. A. Car. LOLOL!! But in reality, I had a beater a few years ago that required a lot of mechanical work and I learned a lot from the guys who worked on it. I don't think I will ever "get it" like some guys do, but it was more interesting than I would have thought. How things work, particularly machines, elude me, though!

MsGrant May 12, 2010 @ 11:34 a.m.

Tiki wrote the classic analogy to the "newer model" trade-up!!

nan shartel May 12, 2010 @ 11:49 a.m.

girls..any man who can have that much devotion to his ride is sixes in my book...and if u care to get ur lily whites oily and a smug on ur nose by pitching in even better...things can get pretty heated under a manifold

i love bikes...the vroom vroom chuckata chunkata kind...then the ride into the desert afterward to try out the mechanics expertise

i know completely what u mean Refried..i have an excellent fixer upper truck in the driveway but the dang mobile park people won't let us work on it there

DRAT!!!

hey i just plant my tomatoes in GIGANTIC pots Refried

Joe Poutous May 12, 2010 @ 1:53 p.m.

"the dang mobile park people won't let us work on it there"

They have to sleep sometimes.

• Joe

Joe Poutous May 12, 2010 @ 1:59 p.m.

OK - here is a question for you guys.

I'm thinking on changing the name of my blog. TikiCult is just the name I use for some stuff on the Internet. (I own the .com).

Ideas?

• Joe

CuddleFish May 12, 2010 @ 3:29 p.m.

Ooooh, I just went to the site, some nice pics and art, Joe!!!

MsGrant May 12, 2010 @ 7:56 p.m.

As you know, I wax nostalgic. So, I suggest:

Tikila

Tikini

Tikicknass

Tikinering

Tikifyoufindmepleasereturnto

Tikissme

Oh, I could go on and on!!

Joe Poutous May 12, 2010 @ 8:13 p.m.

Thanks CF!

and... MsGrant, I think I might have to give "TiKicknAss" a shot.

Or maybe something like "Old Iron, Good Friends", "See the USA in a Chevrolet"

No, those suck.

• Joe

MsGrant May 12, 2010 @ 8:35 p.m.

And I checked out your website too and loved your art!! Good stuff, Maynard!!

nan shartel May 13, 2010 @ 1:02 p.m.

i like Tikicult best....and the neighbors would shut me down in 5 minutes...especially if i did it at nite

went to your other site...i love the pics there

Joe Poutous May 13, 2010 @ 3:24 p.m.

thanks Nan...

If I change my blog name, my user name will stay the same. TikiCult does not really describe what I'm writing about.

MsGrant May 13, 2010 @ 3:37 p.m.

Oh, I got you now - I thought you were changing your handle. How about like the guys on NPR - Car Talk? You could be Car Talk at Joe's Garage.

Joe Poutous May 17, 2010 @ 8:32 a.m.

Car Talk??

I'd have to start using Rust-Eze Medicated Bumper Ointment!

MsGrant May 17, 2010 @ 9:20 a.m.

Okay, maaaybe they're a little geriatric....Tiki Talk?

Joe Poutous May 17, 2010 @ 10:18 a.m.

ha! - The Car Talk guys were the voices of Lightning McQueen's race sponsors in the Pixar movie "Cars"...

Joe Poutous May 17, 2010 @ 7:11 p.m.

The deed has been done... Thanks for all the input! And thanks to Jane for making the change.

The name of this blog is now: Styleline Deluxe.

• Joe