Today someone is coming to haul off our '96 Oldsmobile... it recently blew a gasket, and it's not really worth repairing, especially since there are two newer cars out front which burn less fuel. I could probably fix it myself, but it's easier to just let go... we've had our use out of it, that's for sure, and the Olds has done more off-roading than most lifted "disco trucks" combined. Maybe that's why the car is starting to look like a "white trash beater"---you can only get sideways so many times in the dirt before a car takes on that "used" look. But overall I have no complaints... I went camping in the Olds countless times, and it always served me well. The trunk held a sh!tload of firewood, and all my outdoor gear easily fit in the cabin. The A/C and stereo cranked, never giving me any problem. I logged plenty of miles in the Olds right here in San Diego County, and it was a comfortable ride. That's one thing about an Oldsmobile: it doesn't lack comfort. I'm going to miss that old car... when I mashed the motor, it delivered, and some of my best memories are of flying down S-2 at 100 m.p.h., Van Halen's "D.O.A." blasting from my stereo. I'll also miss cruising down McCain Valley Road, cracking a beer from my big ol' cooler the nanosecond I hit the dirt. Even when parked in McCain Valley, Canyon Sin Nombre, Font's Point, and many other impromptu campsites, the car rocked by firelight, with music emanating from open windows and trunk... Pistols to Mozart, Johnny Cash to UB40, Marty Robbins to Pink Floyd, Bob Marley to Willie Nelson, Led Zeppelin to We The People... Who's to say that, on some subtle electromechanical level, a car has no soul? Sure, we'll save money with the smaller foreign cars outside, but I'm going to miss the Olds... gettin' sideways in a Toyota sedan just isn't the same. Fortunately, I have some cool shots of the Olds for my electronic scrapbook, and those pictures will remind me of all the good times I had behind the wheel of that car. Most readers already know the Olds production line ground to a halt years ago, so I can honestly and somewhat nostalgically say: "They don't make 'em like that anymore..."

Comments

Evelyn April 22, 2011 @ 11:17 a.m.

only 15 yrs?

my family had an '85 buick regal until '08 when it started blowing black smoke and i got too scared to drive it anymore... it was as old as my brother.

SurfPuppy619 April 22, 2011 @ 3:27 p.m.

I still have my 86.5 Nissan Hardbody truck. Bought it brand spanking new. Has 335K miles on it, and runs strong. Quarter of a century old. Love it!

nan shartel April 24, 2011 @ 9:34 a.m.

all my kids (5 of them) learned to drive in an Olds 88 automatic

we all loved that car ;-D

SurfPuppy619 April 24, 2011 @ 7:34 p.m.

Olds 88 is one cool ride!!!

Olsmobile was founded in Lansing, Michigan and they had/have the Oldsmobile Museum there.

The beautiful minor league ball park across the street was named Oldsmobile Park(since renamed after GM shut down the Olds brand). The minor league team is named the "Lansing Lugnuts". I highly recommend catching a game there if you're ever in the area.

nan shartel April 25, 2011 @ 12:05 a.m.

maybe i should ask all my kids their 88 stories...probably some good ones ;-D

they could get more friends in that car then any other one they ever had

i got it thru an accident because it hit me broadside but i was supposely my fault...my car was totaled but i had to pay...i told the owners i would only pay if they gave me the Olds...

it needed no repairs...and was the best running car i ever owned...i had it for an unreasonable amount of years

until i got a 240Z and fell out of love with the Olds...shame on me

nan shartel April 25, 2011 @ 8:59 p.m.

yeah it did feel like that Rails...but listening to the gears shifting up and down on the road to LILY to climb was worth the change of sentiment

i got hooked on those skateboard sounds when living in San Fran driving an MGTF back and forth to Stinson Beach...it had a solid axle tho and one had to carefully control it around the curves or end up in the wildflowers

i lived to hydroplane up and down freeway entrances and exits in he Z in my wild impetuous youth....hahahahahahahahaha ;-D