Did I just wake up? Or did I just have an Oprah ah ha moment?  Old people irritating me by testing (torturing) young people.   Setting GNC- young girl working, old guy I'm guessing mid 60s quizzing her how many mgs in an ounce, mcgs in a pound,  which is more economical? How much per ounce. how much per serving? She was great, polite trying to answer his insistent questions which began before I walked in the door. I'm waiting patiently while he ignores me and she looks at me with regret. Get a smart phone old man. This guy had nothing better to do and was looking for her to cut the price. He was rude and dismissive.   Setting La Especiale Norte on a Sunday morning. Quiet, and to be honest this time I didn't even turn around. Do you know what the first Spanish language was called? Do did you know California used to be a part of Mexico? This guy was testing the waitresses knowledge of the history of Mexico because she appeared to be Mexican and working in a Mexican restaurant?  Or perhaps a former teacher? Or just a lonely old man trying to get some attention from a pretty young waitress?   Costco on a Sunday at noon. Old man in a convertible with an old woman. Parking at a premium, no handicapped placard, no handicapped license plate, pulls right in and leaves her sitting in the car. Thinks he deserves the spot, or just doesn't give it a second thought- any more than people alone in a car using the car pool lane, or with an overflowing shopping cart in the express lane.   In these moments I saw myself. Horrifying. People my age trying to force knowledge on the young who are just trying to work at a minimum wage job probably going to school at night or caring for their families. Let it go tallsharon. if the powers that be don't care about quality why should you?   At least when I do retail or eat out I tip big, and don't make too many special requests off menu. But at work, somehow I've rationalized that it is different. I am seasoning, I do know lots of stuff from experience, but I guess the kids don't care any more than I did when I was their age. I pay my own rent, I work therefore my opinion is knowledge.

I guess this is the way kids have been raised. Here's a prize for showing up, even if you're texting, sleeping in the bathroom, or stealing intellectual property off the Internet. but back to self reflection.

Despite my opinion (based on facts and life experience of course) I can certainly remember how irritating it was for the oldies to try to teach me anything. I don't need them- I've got google and Wikipedia - whatever I know I know to be true.

More like this:

Comments

JohnERangel June 10, 2012 @ 5:23 p.m.

I work in a restaurant and notice the same dynamic taking place between the young waiters/waitresses and old customers. Nice analysis of your observations.

Ruth Newell June 10, 2012 @ 9:22 p.m.

It is everywhere, isn't it? And as you say, perhaps it was always like this. I, too, liked the way you described these encounters.

As a side note, when I was commuting, I used the Fastrack Pass which gave me the option of paying extra to use the HOV lanes-- even though I was alone in my car-- when the highway was backed up. Worth every cent to not spend the extra hour idling toxins into the air. So much less...agita.

nan shartel June 11, 2012 @ 3:05 p.m.

all of us seniors need a spanking....hahahahahahahahahaha

jemsd June 11, 2012 @ 8:09 p.m.

Great story. I can't help but wonder tho' if irritating people have always been, well, irritating. Is it so much an age thing or a personality trail that they follow as another year passes just a little faster than the previous one? . I find that irritating. I've noticed as of late " irritating" has been replaced with the much more offensive term of " annoying". Kids telling their parents that they annoy them. What's up with that, con sarn it!!!! I've recently been finding invitations in my mailbox to join AARP. I find that both annoying and irritating. Perhaps what really irritates us is that we just think old people should know better. I'm betting that those senior folks we label as irritating have always been that way, we just think because their old, that they should know better. Oh wait, I already said that didn't I?

nan shartel June 12, 2012 @ 11:07 a.m.

hahahahahahaha...bless u jemsd...and how about mid ages who don't control their kids in a restaurant...at least the seniors are sweet and understanding about the wild impetuous character of youth as they fly by their table and steal their french fries

jemsd June 12, 2012 @ 1:55 p.m.

I think you nailed it!! Personally, I keep notching the senior meter up and right now, it's about age 79 or so. That's when I will be a member of the club that was discussed in the original story. So I have nearly a quarter century left. I'm thinking we won't be nearly as tolerant as Betty White would be ya'know?. Betty White grew up with June Cleaver and I don't think either of them would yell after an adolescent french fry stealer, " get back here you son of a bitch". But the Boomers would, yessir, we turned the whole world on its ass and we're gonna be pretty bad ass in our last years. I'll be listening to Neil Young doing " Don't be Denied" or Dylan spitting out " Senior", while some kid is apoligizing for trying to steal my fries. That's the way I see my real senior years. The Boomer Years!! Wait till' they get a load of us

jemsd June 13, 2012 @ 7:45 a.m.

Not that it really matters, but the song Mr. Dylan was spitting out is actually "Senor" not "Senior". The irony there was amusing and so, worth mentioning

nan shartel June 12, 2012 @ 5:22 p.m.

just because the mantra of the day is 60 is the new 40 doesn't mean it's true..AARP knows that and that's why they give u 10 years from 50 to 60 to get used to it

delusional thinking doesn't make it so....40 is still middle age in spite of in vitro fertilization...and that the kid will be an adult when most young adult will think she's the grandma...and 60 is senior til it's time 4 that big dirt nap

after reading Sharon blog i was thinking that except 4 holding up the line at CVS a senior who wants cogent information about the mg dose of their drugs is one sharp cookie

or he, like myself left his 3.5 readers at home that day

and i guess i need to tell Bobby we'd be doing the younger people a grave misservice if we buy that Mustang convertible this summer

and NO jemsd...i won't turn my Rock and Roll down either!!!

None

'cause retired doesn't mean it's again time to go to bed