Where were you when?.................................

All someone needs to ask is one question with a few minor changes to prompt heated and animated conversations regarding three significant dates in modern American history.

Where were you when Kennedy was shot?

I was only a small child of six, but I remember that day clearly. November 22, 1963, our family was visiting my Aunt Linda in Beaumont, California. While my Mom and Aunt Linda made lunch we all played outside with total abandon. We were kids and that’s what we did best. Later on we were told to be quiet during the telecast, so the adults could hear everything said.

The whole family crowded around the small black and white television, trying to get the best spot to watch the presidential procession. I remember how we went from sitting on the floor laughing and eating popcorn, to screaming in horror and disbelief as he was shot. To this day I am grateful for black and white TV. As horrible as it was to watch, it would have been far worse to see, had it been in color.

We cried for hours, holding each other for comfort and solace. The whole neighborhood sprang to action, calling and knocking on doors to ensure everyone knew of the tragedy. Televisions were carried outside to be hooked up in yards and garages, allowing neighbors without the luxury of TV the benefit of watching history unfold.

Mothers desperately tried to calm their children who were afraid their fathers would be shot too. My sister and I could not be calmed down, until we saw our father come home safely that night. We ran to him, hugging and kissing him, never wanting to let go.

Our neighborhood became a community, glued together as we watched the funeral together and the execution of Lee Harvey Oswald. Conversations sprang up in barbershops, beauty parlors and grocery stores, as everyone wondered what would happen to our country. Would someone else be able to effectively fill Kennedy’s shoes?

Where were you on 9-11?

I was on my way to work at the Dixieline in Solana Beach. The store was short staffed, due to several employees going on vacation and I was going in for coverage. I had decided to drive the back way from Escondido taking the route past Lake Hodges and the dam. I couldn’t understand why the traffic was so severely backed up, especially on an alternate route like that. I turned off the CD player and turned on the news. That’s when I heard what happened.

A wellspring of tears began to overflow. I was new to cell phones and service was intermittent, as I tried desperately to reach my husband.

When I arrived at the store, I was informed two of the employees were stranded in Texas. All flights were grounded due to the tragedy. I was asked to continue working there until they were able to return.

The store computers kept us informed of Osama bin Laden’s trilogy of terror….the twin towers, the Pentagon and flight 93. The lunch room TV continued to air the newscasts non-stop. I remember thinking back to the Kennedy assassination and how it was tragically ironic; because of soot and falling ash, the 9-11 disaster was black and white.

Since a wide spread area of San Diego county is military, we bore witness as friends, family and unknown neighbors of both active duty military and reserve soldiers were called to action. Our local communities were now on high alert. Tension was high. Ten long years have passed and human remains are still being discovered in and around ground zero.

Now the question our nation has been waiting to ask for ten long years has come to pass……………

Where were you when Osama bin Laden was shot?

More like this:

Comments

lboddy May 4, 2011 @ 4:36 p.m.

I was a 10th grader in high school when he was shot. I had to go to the mall with my mom and witnessed people weeping. We live in a much different and violent time than the mid 60's. Since he died we have had his brother and MLK killed by the same type of hating persons. I don't morn for Ben Laden- I morn for the rest of us.

David Dodd May 4, 2011 @ 8:15 p.m.

"Is Bin Laden really dead? Where's the DNA evidence? How do we know he wasn't killed long ago, and his buddies didn't fake all those tapes?"

Aren't you the same guy who complained about criminals made to pose with weapons? You can't have it both ways. It's quite the convenient ideology to demand evidence on the one hand and then to be disgusted by evidence on the other. There's no such thing as proof, there's only evidence, and if you circumstantially disallow evidence based on your own ideology then you'll never have an opportunity to be convinced of anything.

lboddy May 4, 2011 @ 8:49 p.m.

Perhaps we have better things to deal with than dealing with the the stuff that the media and others are sending our way. Look into yourself and try to be a better person. Get right with yourself and you will have a happier life.

Evelyn May 5, 2011 @ 9:48 a.m.

and the birthers become the deathers.

Duhbya May 5, 2011 @ 11:45 a.m.

Questions? Check with one of the Seals who was on the mission and get back with us.

David Dodd May 5, 2011 @ 12:31 p.m.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking as well. So far as the body being dumped in the ocean, I'd entertain the notion that perhaps it wasn't. But there's nothing to gain by claiming that Bin Laden is dead if he isn't. They killed him. Some things transcend the political.

Radical Uterus May 5, 2011 @ 1:57 p.m.

Glen Beck will rot your brain cells faster then mad cow disease. Mad cow can take a decade to develop. Watching Beck makes a person automatically brain dead. In my opinion.

Radical Uterus May 5, 2011 @ 5:23 p.m.

Well golly gee Railsplitter I would have been so disappointed if you didn't figure it out. Yep, comedy!!!!!

Screw the labels, I choose to define myself. Radical Uterus is alive!

Radical Uterus May 6, 2011 @ 9:11 a.m.

Google Radical Uterus Railsplitter. She is the cartoon character on my blog, Self-help for the criminally insane. I would love some feedback.

Radical Uterus May 5, 2011 @ 10:48 a.m.

I remember watching the funeral of JFK and not comprehending what I was seeing, as I was in my own personal hell at the time.

The morning of 9/11 I was watching the first plane fly into the WTC on the television at my employers house. I thought how interesting that the 9/11 attack came on the anniversary of my first marriage to an American Airlines Captain. I wondered if he was flying one of those planes.

When Bin Laden was shot. I didn't feel much of anything except as the story of the raid unfolded and Bin Ladens proximity to the Pakistani Military Academy came to light, I am filled with more questions than I have adequate answers.

Robert Johnston May 5, 2011 @ 12:13 p.m.

1. I was born on October 5th, 1963. JFK met his appointment with Fate on November 22nd of the same year. So, I was probably still in the nursery at Providence Hospital (long since torn down, btw).

2. I was working at Escondido Target on 9-11-01. I had just been hired as a Cart Attendant on the 6th of that month. I was up in the breakroom, getting ready for my shift, when the jets impacted the World Trade Center. I crossed myself and said quietly: "God Rest Their Brave Souls." The mood at the store was pretty somber that day. FYI: On 19-Sep-01, Melanie and I "tied the knot" at 11:30am.

3. I was listening to my stereo when I heard the news that Osama was finally going to see Allah to answer for his misdeeds, courtesy of the U.S. Navy's SEAL Team Six. Although I am glad to see him gone, there are still some unanswered questions. Mainly, why would the Pakis claim ignorance of Osama's living near their Military Academy?

As for why we do not see the pictures of the now-deceased super-terrorist? Consider this:

The typical basio weapon of a Navy SEAL is a M-4 Carbine (modified M16A2 with a telescoping stock), which chambers the 5.56mm NATO round (this round is NOT interchangeable with the .223 Remington round that was it's inspiration). A 5.56mm NATO round leave the barrel at a typical velocity of 3,250 feet-per-second.

If Osama took a headshot from that round, the resulting trauma would be spectacularly gory (with not much head left in the first place), even with ball (solid) ammunition. Not the sort of thing ANY network would dare-to-air, unless the network was trying to take the concept of "if it bleeds, it leads"-style journalism to a new-and-troubling realm.

Two down (Saddam and Obama)--many more to go. --LPR

tomjohnston May 5, 2011 @ 1:27 p.m.

Don't know so much about the M-4 being DEVGRP's weapon. They pretty much have their pick and I'm sure a variety of weapons were used to breach the building. Not too long ago, I read that Heckler & Koch were contracted to supply the SEALs with the HK45C sidearm. I wouldn't be surprised if on of those supplied the head shot. I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of the team were using suppressed HK416's. H&P's are said to be one of their favorites. On 11-22-63 I was a freshman in High school. It was also my grandfather's 70th birthday. My brother and I were not in school that day. Because it was a Friday, w were going to be heading to my grandparent's place in Topanga. There was going to be a big family BBQ that evening. On 9-11 my family was all at home. My wife and I have been getting up at 6am for as long as I can remember. Somehow, for some reason we both awoke about an hour earlyeven though we were both on vacation. According to the girls, one of whom was starting her soph year in college and the other a freshman in high school, they woke up and heard us so they got up. We were all having breakfast when the first report broke. We pretty much stayed glued to the tv, as they say, all day. This past Sunday, we had just come home from a late dinner with some friends. We literally had just walked in the door when my wife received a text from our oldest daugher. She had just seen the crawl across the screen. Before the President actually came out to give his address, both of the girls had made it to the house. We were eating ice cream during his address; Double French Vanilla; Homemede.

nan shartel May 5, 2011 @ 12:47 p.m.

i was a nursing student at Mercy hospital when Kennedy died...i was working in L&D when it happened...babies being born ..presidents being killed...i was in shock for a week

can't say more except he was the first pres i was old enough to vote for..Requiem In Pace