Don Bauder 2:30 p.m., Aug. 25
- Community Blog
- Removing Confusion, Promoting Democracy
Removing Confusion, Promoting Democracy
Many of my fellow Ron Paul supporters in the San Diego area are confused about the upcoming June 5th primary. They believe that Ron Paul will be on their ballot regardless of whether they are registered Republican.
But that is wrong. The only way to vote for Ron Paul on June 5th is to register Republican by May 21st.
The confusion is understandable, as much attention was paid to California's switch to open primaries. But this switch does NOT apply to the presidential race, which remains a Closed Primary. Adding to the confusion, the GOP did not opt to allow "Decline to State" voters access to their ballot, whereas the Democratic and American Independent parties did.
I fear that if we do not get the word out about this issue, there will be a lot of frustration at the polls on June 5th. The ensuing confusion will make life difficult for the volunteer poll workers and reflect poorly on our ability conduct elections.
To register Republican in time, one need only go to www.sos.ca.gov/elections/register-to-vote, fill out and print the short form, and send it in by May 21st.
More like this:
- Democracy costs, even in Chula Vista — Aug. 8, 2014
- 50,000 Absentee Ballots Already Cast for June 5 Primary — May 18, 2012
- Who Runs Our Elections and How Safe Actually are They? — Nov. 2, 2010
- Is San Diego's Voting System Secure? Who's Running This Show? — Nov. 4, 2008
- Why They Didn't Vote — March 14, 2002