in a time when every salesperson in the mall seems compelled to try to shove more and more merchandise down your throat, there's a place you can go to and just feel good about yourself and life again. the 'not of this world' store in parkway plaza is that store. you're greeted by young, enthusiastic (but not pushy) salespeople who genuinely care about you and your needs. not so much what size shirt you need, but more like "how is your life?". within minutes i was baring my soul to them, and we were heads bowed in a store, praying for help, assistance, strength. there was no shame, no hesitation, no fear. many times i would enter the store, just to talk, pray, and remember that there are still good people out there who truly care about the people, not the bottom line.

if any of the incredible salespeople happens to read this - thank you, please don't ever stop...

More like this:

Comments

magicsfive Nov. 14, 2009 @ 7:26 a.m.

i'm so sure....i don't want to go to any store where people are asking me "how is my life"...are you sure this isn't the secret portal to some cult? beware.....

MsGrant Nov. 14, 2009 @ 7:54 a.m.

Yeah, I read this with some curiousity. Since when is commerce involved with the sharing of feelings? Oh, that's right, you have to chip in for the space ship....

Sorry, don't mean to be a cynic, but I agree with Magics.

Joe Poutous Nov. 14, 2009 @ 7:58 a.m.

2 things came to mind after reading this:

1. "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

2. Hey, another fake story promoting god... The bible was bad enough. (I guess I'm jaded.)

3. Joe

CuddleFish Nov. 14, 2009 @ 8:05 a.m.

I read it when it was first posted yesterday.

Heard the theme from Twilight Zone playing, so figured it was just me.

shizzyfinn Nov. 14, 2009 @ 9:06 a.m.

yeah plus anyone who is serious about engaging in soulful dialogue with mall staff knows that the place to be is Grossmont Center

emdubya Nov. 14, 2009 @ 9:43 a.m.

no sweat, i knew not everyone would agree with me. easier to be a cynic these days.

do love the star wars quote though, well played...

JF Nov. 14, 2009 @ 10:18 a.m.

Since when is commerce involved with the sharing of feelings?

Refer to Don Bauder's comments in another thread about how many scammers are able to read the "needs" of their targets.

Joe Poutous Nov. 14, 2009 @ 10:21 a.m.

OK... all slamming you for spamming aside - You seem to have some writing ability (maybe a capital letter every once in a while wouldn't hurt). If you want to continue your blog without trying to promote a commercial venture, I'll be you get some readers.

And... I gotta ask - do you think that cutsie stickers on the back of a lifted Ford Ranger is what Jesus would have wanted? Or worse tribal?

Commercialized Christianity at it's finest. - Joe

emdubya Nov. 15, 2009 @ 10:49 a.m.

Are stickers on cars what he have wanted? Who can tell? What he would have wanted is for people to spread the message, continue to share His word, and live a life that's not overly devoted to material possessions and false idols. Does it hurt to have a little reminder in our daily lives of that? Don't see how it can. Everywhere you look these days, someone is displaying a symbol, logo, or graphic of what is important to them: football teams on shirt, grandkids names on bingo bags, corporate logos on golf balls. They all mean something to someone. So is a tribal sticker on the back of a car as a reminder that some of us believe in a Higher Power beyond the all-mighty dollar a bad thing?

PistolPete Nov. 15, 2009 @ 11:01 a.m.

The only thing I think when I see those stupid NOTW stickers on people's cars is this: mindless hypocritical sheep. How arrogant do you have to be to announce to the entire planet that you believe you're better than everyone else because you believe the bulls*** the church tells you to believe?

magicsfive Nov. 15, 2009 @ 12:11 p.m.

"enter fred..."...that's your cue, fred....

Joe Poutous Nov. 15, 2009 @ 1:15 p.m.

"and live a life that's not overly devoted to material possessions and false idols"

All I see are dudes that have huge toyboxes, too many sand toys and flatbill hats. Not living a Material Lifestyle, my ass.

Not that there is anything wrong with having alot of fun things... just don't play it like you are a fricking monk.

• Joe

Fred Williams Nov. 16, 2009 @ 4:57 a.m.

NOTW: So how's your life? Me: It's not so great. You see, about six thousand years before I was born, someone did something naughty. As a result, I was born in sin and have to repent...or else I'll burn in hell for eternity. NOTW: But God loves you! Me: Why do you say that? Look at the evidence. He likes to kill people. Have you read the story of the flood? Lot? Job? God's a real ***hole. NOTW: That's why Jesus died for your sins. To intervene with God on your behalf. Me: But isn't Jesus, along with the Holy Spirit, actually God too? NOTW: Well, yes... Me: So he created a copy of himself to commit suicide so...that somehow mollified him enough to allow some people not to be tortured for eternity. NOTW: Uh, yeah. That's what we believe. Me: Uh huh. And anyone who doesn't believe it is ineligible for public office. NOTW: Well, we wouldn't want atheists running things. They're crazy you know. Me: But it's okay for believers in a homicidal psychopathic deity and his suicidal "son" to run the country? Have they done a good job? NOTW: We have these wonderful bumper stickers for sale...

JF Nov. 16, 2009 @ 7:02 a.m.

One of the funnier conversations in my life went like this: Me: "Say, your shirt says 'Proud to be a Christian'." Dude: "Well, I am." Me: "Isn't Pride one of the deadly sins?" Dude: Blank Stare

magicsfive Nov. 16, 2009 @ 7:20 a.m.

ahh fred....thank you that was awesome! lmmfao. i knew you'd come. JF, also very funny :D xo

Joe Poutous Nov. 16, 2009 @ 7:21 p.m.

Fred - that was pretty funny...

JF - The Dude abides.

JF Nov. 16, 2009 @ 7:29 p.m.

Tiki, I thought of Lebowski when I used "Dude". But I didn't feel like coming up with another name.

PistolPete Nov. 16, 2009 @ 8:36 p.m.

My favorite when confronted with a roving soul saver(Mormon)? Pretend I'm actually interested in their brand of humor(religion) and give them the phone number of someone I really don't care about. Works like a charm. ;-D Kills two birds with one stone as well...heh heh heh!

Joe Poutous Nov. 16, 2009 @ 9:17 p.m.

I couldn't help myself... Watched it last night.

oh, and "Nobody Fs with the Jesus"

SDaniels Nov. 17, 2009 @ 10:54 a.m.

Tiki, I think a "Lebowski" theme party should at some point happen. Question is, who plays whom?

Dibs on "Maude."

;)

PistolPete Nov. 17, 2009 @ 2:01 p.m.

Ya'll can be The Dude. Walter FTW!!!!!!

Fumber can be Donny. :-D

SDaniels Nov. 17, 2009 @ 4:55 p.m.

Pete, the role of "Walter" was made for you. Or "Little Larry." You could do both parts, in one of my favorite scenes. "You see what happens, Larry?!" Actually, that film has far too many good scenes to choose, so scratch that.

Fumbler is too self-aware to be Donny, but he is juuust perverted enough to play... The Jesus!

PistolPete Nov. 17, 2009 @ 8:52 p.m.

Hmmmm....interesting casting Fumber in the role of Jesus. GENIUS!