Image

some might say

she was a beautiful girl

a peroxide beauty

shapely

but with a face that rarely smiled

and a voice

that spoke only to those she could manipulate

some might say

she was assertive

and that she strode thru life

making her own way unflinching

calm in her assertion

well balanced in her counterpoint domain

compassion and empathy was not her forte

but then why should it have been

she hadn't been taught that

in her privileged perfect existence

part of the "all is me" generation

and it had always served her well

some might say

she would mellow in time

and the personal carnage strewn about her

was simply the unimportant sequelae

of an unaware fractious youth

forgiven by the older and wiser among us

some might say

she had a careless heart

about those who might loved her more

then her debutante personality could comprehend

her value of social interaction was excessively thin

her empathetic capacity was simply arrested

some might say such things

as disrespect and disregard were

the poisonous bread crumbs she dropped

for the uninitiated to follow

some might say such things

and they would be right

More like this:

Comments

richzombie Jan. 28, 2012 @ 2:03 p.m.

this is really a great piece - nanster

poisonous bread crumbs - yum ! and i being serious .

nan shartel Jan. 28, 2012 @ 3:23 p.m.

these kind women r everywhere RZ... unleashing their infantile deadliness on all of us :(

we all need to be on guard against them poet!

Radical Uterus Jan. 29, 2012 @ 6:15 a.m.

Good job nan. You read my mind, only I'm working on a bit titled, "I'd Rather Be Called a C--t, Than a Diva."

nan shartel Jan. 29, 2012 @ 11:20 a.m.

hey...u can do the taters Roody...but invite us all to that breakfast wilya?

nan shartel Jan. 29, 2012 @ 11:17 a.m.

power to the C*nt piece DG

but don't forget the Tatties piece 4 miss roody...lolol

nan shartel Jan. 29, 2012 @ 11:15 a.m.

yep...

some of these kind of people age out of it...but the damage they do along the way can be fierce!

quillpena Jan. 29, 2012 @ 12:59 p.m.

The following generation has bred a lot of these women--and men. Jesus, do I sound old. I feel like shaking my fist at all those who refuse to respect their elders. "You darn kids!"

nan shartel Jan. 29, 2012 @ 1:17 p.m.

ur right on the money Quill...but dang we raised them...where did we go wrong???

my sons have compassion and empathy i hope...but often they show the subtle signs of superficiality...it saddens me

the oldest is a ponderer and continues to grow emotionally...his brother is still playing catch up from 20+ years of alcoholism and the emotional arrested developement that brings

i was fortunate and had my DA living with me 4 the last 5 years of his life and i was humbled by the wisdom that had gone completely unnoticed before when i had a less interactive relationship with him

i was one lucky daughter to have had those 5 years

it became my most important maturation period

Twister Jan. 29, 2012 @ 6:49 p.m.

Old German proverb: "Vy iss it zat ve are too soon oldt und too late schmart?"

Twister Jan. 29, 2012 @ 11:25 p.m.

I agree with George Bernard Shaw that God got it backwards. We should come into this world aged and wise, then lose it over time, finally shrinking through babyhood back into the womb.

nan shartel Jan. 30, 2012 @ 10:17 a.m.

with the rampant advancement of senility and Alzheimer's that seem to be the case Twister

children do have their own kind of wisdom in their innocents...but society soon pounds that out of them more the pity

nan shartel Feb. 5, 2012 @ 11:20 a.m.

we should talk to children more to regain our own equilibrium ;-D)

Ruth Newell Feb. 5, 2012 @ 6:22 p.m.

Yep. And to remember to loosen up and let it go. To be a kid when the best part of the day is laughing so hard we fall off our chair at dinner oblivious of scowling adults and of what we were actually laughing at.

nan shartel Feb. 5, 2012 @ 8:11 p.m.

that falling on the floor laughing one would be me...hahahahahahahaha

Twister Feb. 24, 2012 @ 2:34 p.m.

Ay, seguro que si!

And we should listen more carefully to "kids." Pure honesty. That gets beaten out of them too.

Twister Feb. 24, 2012 @ 2:31 p.m.

Not SOCIETY, but CULTURE that pounds it out of them--and into them. "You have to be carefully taught . . ." --Rogers and Hammerstein, "South Pacific"

nan shartel Feb. 24, 2012 @ 2:37 p.m.

cultural influences can not be emphasized enough Twister...they do marry up with smaller more closed societies and must share the blame

Twister Feb. 5, 2012 @ 7:14 p.m.

Aw, yeah, I know there's them thar kinda gals out there, but I know plenty in the 20-40 bracket that are j u s t perfect. You, know, REAL. 4-H girls, my compadre calls them. No makeup. Nothing made up. Beautiful to the core. Who could ask for anything more?

nan shartel Feb. 23, 2012 @ 5:35 a.m.

are you originally from Canada perchance Twister????

nan shartel Feb. 24, 2012 @ 11:04 a.m.

i'm a Canadaphile Twister...u have a certain wry honesty that reminds me of many of my friends from Canada...hahahahahahaha

Twister Feb. 24, 2012 @ 1:59 p.m.

Well, one of my top mentors was from B.C.

Twister Feb. 24, 2012 @ 2:36 p.m.

She painted the cave walls so beautifully . . .

I had a mentor from British Columbia too.

nan shartel Feb. 24, 2012 @ 2:40 p.m.

funny bunny....hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Tallsharon Feb. 23, 2012 @ 7:28 a.m.

We need to ask them to walk the talk, ruffle some feathers for the good of the cause, and follow through. What? I don't understand. that's what I was going to do.even though I have never followed through with anything in my whole life except the start up and the party at the end. :) captured my thoughts- I need to let it go

nan shartel Feb. 24, 2012 @ 11:02 a.m.

absotutely Sharon ;-D

follow thru with that Rosetta Stone and the trip ur going on..have a ball sweets!!!

nan shartel Feb. 24, 2012 @ 2:42 p.m.

thou art a gentleman of refined spirit and warf...who can be so funny i'd laugh til i barf

Twister Feb. 24, 2012 @ 5:05 p.m.

Re: gurgitatin. Just did. Yea, ever did puke smell so sweet . . .

bohemianopus Feb. 23, 2012 @ 8:50 a.m.

GREAT POEM, Nan!!! Sorry I don't get back here to read more often. This is a gem!

nan shartel Feb. 24, 2012 @ 11:07 a.m.

luv seein' u when u do come and REALLY appreciate the comments when u do hunnypop!!!

Twister Feb. 24, 2012 @ 2:05 p.m.

This poem is about what they call a "borderline personality." I suspect abuse as the cause, but the behavior should not be countenanced. There are male versions too.

They want, they are needy, and they feel deprived. The abuse may have been abandonment, which, in its deepest sense is what "modern parenting" has become. Kids are perhaps really better off reinventing themselves, but the collateral damage is extensive.

nan shartel Feb. 24, 2012 @ 2:30 p.m.

i'm a borderline personality Twister

i don't know which side pf the 49th parallel i want to be on

Canada or the USA

(waiting 4 the other shoe to drop...hahahahahahaha)

Twister Feb. 24, 2012 @ 2:40 p.m.

Just BE! --at home wherever you are, eh? For sure . . .

nan shartel Feb. 24, 2012 @ 2:43 p.m.

la vérité dans tous les endroits réside