Marty Graham 9:30 a.m., Feb. 28
July's Low Tides and Grunion Runs
July's Extreme Low Tides are for early risers only! Check out the local tidepool life without hordes of other people around. Sunday, July 11 features a minus 1.5-foot tide at 3:52am. Monday, July 12 there's a minus 1.6-foot tide at 4:32am. Before work on Tuesday, July 13, you might roll out of bed early to catch the minus 1.4-foot tide at 5:11am. Even better (time wise) is Wednesday's minus 1.1-foot tide occuring at 5:51am.
Grunion Runs are predicted to occur during the late evening hours (generally after 10pm and before 1am), following the nocturnal high tide, July 11 through July 14. The small, silvery grunion tend to spawn on wide, gently sloping beaches such as Silver Strand, Mission Beach, Pacific Beach, La Jolla Shores, and Del Mar. Open season for grunion starts in June, and from then until the end of summer, the fish can be collected in reasonable numbers using the hands only (fishing licence needed for persons 16 years of age and older). For more information, visit dfg.ca.gov/marine/grunionschedule.asp.
More like this:
- Low Tides and Grunion Rides — Aug. 8, 2010
- Low Tides and Grunion Runs This Weekend — June 11, 2010
- Warm Water Temps, Low Tides, Diminishing High Tides, and Venus — Aug. 26, 2008
- Low Tides, Grunion, Crescent Moon, Dawn Sky — July 30, 2008
- Latest Sunset of the Year — June 25, 2008