Dorian Hargrove 2:23 p.m., Aug. 4
Shorebird-Watching enters its most agreeable season this month and next, with migrant and resident birds sharing common winter grounds. Egrets, herons, terns, and a variety of other species provide endless entertainment as they go about the business of fishing and feeding in San Diego County's coastal wetlands. Publicly accessible wetlands include the following (listed north to south): San Luis Rey River mouth, Buena Vista Lagoon, Agua Hedionda Lagoon, Batiquitos Lagoon, San Elijo Lagoon, San Dieguito Lagoon, Los Peñasquitos Lagoon, San Diego River flood channel (south of Sea World Drive), Sweetwater River marsh, southwest San Diego Bay, and Tijuana River Estuary. Many of the same birds can also be seen on the shores of inland reservoirs such as Lake Murray and Lake Miramar.
More like this:
- Shore Birds — July 19, 2010
- December Shorebird-Watching — Dec. 8, 2009
- Shore Birds Arrive — Sept. 3, 2009
- Summer Birding Opportunities — July 12, 2009
- Shorebird Watching, Earliest Sunset, Cross-Country Skiers, and Toyon — Dec. 4, 2008