Don Bauder 3:30 p.m., Oct. 31
The Fremont Cottonwoods along the San Diego River in Mission Gorge are now showing their best tawny foliage. You can park at the Old Mission Dam historic site or the Mission Trails Regional Park visitor center and explore the riparian area by way of riverside trails, or by walking, bike riding, or skating along the bike path high above the river's south and east banks. Large cottonwoods can also be seen along other watercourses throughout the San Diego County backcountry, including along the Sweetwater River near Cottonwood Golf Course, and in Cottonwood Valley, east of Pine Valley along Interstate 8.
More like this:
- Coastal Wildflowers, Fremont Cottonwoods, and Bracken Ferns — April 7, 2011
- Temperatures, Sunsets, and Fremont Cottonwoods — Nov. 17, 2010
- Cottonwood Trees and Century Plants — April 20, 2010
- Warmer Temperatures, Low Rainfall, Cottonwoods, and Transitioning Grasslands — April 2, 2009
- Rainbow Season, Fremont Cottonwoods, Venus & Jupiter, the Moon's Chesire Cat Smile — Nov. 22, 2008