Jonathan Swift 7 p.m., July 29
Elderberry, a common bush or small tree found from San Diego County's coastal canyons to the mountain slopes around Julian and Palomar, is in fruit this month. The branches carry myriads of tiny bluish fruits covered with a white powder. The fruits have traditionally been used for various drinks and preserves.
More like this:
- Elderberry in Bloom — June 7, 2011
- Thunderheads, Elderberry, and Cicadas — July 18, 2010
- Elderberry — June 8, 2010
- Elderberry, Magnolia, and Buckwheat — June 11, 2009
- AKA Hay Moon, Wort Moon, Moon of Blood, Fallow Moon, and Thunder Moon — July 16, 2008