Kendra Finn 11 a.m., Oct. 24
Cross-Country Skiers are in for a short-lived treat late this month through February if winter storms intense enough to drop several inches to two feet of snow hit San Diego County's higher mountains. As the clouds are clearing, you may be able to take advantage of good skiing conditions along Highway 79 through Cuyamaca Rancho State Park and along Sunrise Highway through the Laguna Mountain Recreation Area. More limited opportunities for cross-country skiing may briefly exist on Palomar Mountain. Farther north in Southern California and higher in elevation, the forested crests of the San Gabriel, San Bernardino, and San Jacinto Mountains offer more dependably good snow conditions.
More like this:
- Winter skiing's finally on in the Eastern Sierras — Feb. 14, 2014
- Cross-Country Skiing, Christmas Berry, and Tree Aloes — Dec. 24, 2010
- Cuyamaca Ski Routes — Dec. 30, 2008
- Shorebird Watching, Earliest Sunset, Cross-Country Skiers, and Toyon — Dec. 4, 2008
- Cross-country skiing in the Cuyamacas — Dec. 17, 1998