Robert Bush 5 p.m., Jan. 23
Memorial Day Review
When did Memorial Day start and can I run a 10K to celebrate?
Memorial Day Weekend--the start of summer--time to get in shape. I’m sure Memorial Day is about something other than the start of summer but sometimes that gets lost.
The first Memorial Day was May 30th, 1868 and flowers were placed on the graves of Union and Confederate soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery. The holiday continued as a Northern tradition until after World War One when the South started observing the day once it was about Americans in all wars instead of just The Civil War.
So long as the holiday remained about those who died in The Civil War the southern states did not recognize it but chose their own dates to remember those who died.
The holiday wasn't solidified as the last Monday in May until 1971.
Now that we've had a little review you can celebrate Memorial Day with a 10K or 5K at Lake Murray as a participant in the Patriot Run. The event is on Saturday May 25th at 7:45 a.m.
More like this:
- More Memorial Day Events — May 24, 2013
- “Write everything as if it were the last thing you’ll ever get a chance to write.” — June 8, 2006
- Art Is Slow — Feb. 5, 2004
- San Diego's Least-Remembered Great Man — July 2, 1998
- Finding Family: Smoking Out Okies in San Diego County — Jan. 15, 1998