Marty Graham 8:30 a.m., May 24
San Diego 50 Mile and Trail Marathon
Have marathons become too passe? How about 50 miles over rough terrain?
“Stuff” just got real, or at least it will tomorrow when the San Diego 50 Mile and Trail Marathon begins.
Yes, 50 miles on trails out east where the country gets rough in the San Pasqual Valley. There is no other way to hold an ultra-marathon except on trails, or so it would seem. I've yet to see one on paved roads.
The event is being held in the San Dieguito River and Black Mountain Open Space Parks. The idea of running 50 miles is insane in and of itself so why not add some rough terrain?
My hat goes off to all those intrepid souls heading out in the morning on a grand adventure.
More like this:
- Ain’t no water in Horsethief Canyon, but poison oak? You bet — Feb. 10, 2016
- Oriflamme and bad-asses in east San Diego County — April 4, 2013
- You Participated In a Marathon — June 5, 2012
- Gottermarathon — June 5, 2011
- Serene Barker Valley, hidden on Palomar's flank, attracts hikers and backpackers to its stream and waterfalls. — April 30, 1998