Various Authors 3:49 p.m., Dec. 3
Sinister, written and directed by Scott Derrickson, who also wrote and directed The Exorcism of Emily Rose, is just in time for the spooky season. The film intertwines "found" Super 8 footage and the actual narrative, centering on a true-crimes writer (Ethan Hawke) researching "how and why a family was murdered in his new home, though his discoveries put his entire family in the path of a supernatural entity." The film is 110 minutes and rated R.
So far Rotten Tomatoes is showing that 100% of viewers like and/or recommend the film for it's controlled pacing and horrifically disturbing scenes. (Note that it doesn't mean Sinister has a 100% rating as a film, but that 100% of reviewers enjoyed it.) I can't stomach the trailer right now (got to 3 seconds and shut it down, but I will see it this month), though I'm posting it for you because you're brave. Sinister debuts at AMC La Jolla (8657 Villa La Jolla Dr) on Friday, October 5 with showtimes from 11:55 a.m. to 10:35 p.m. The film will screen at AMC Mission Valley, AMC Palm Promenade, and Krikorian Vista Village on October 11.
More like this:
- Free advance screening of Sing on Saturday, November 26 — Nov. 22, 2016
- Something new has been added at The Big Screen — July 15, 2014
- Review: Sinister — Oct. 11, 2012
- For a Good Time, Call... Opening on 28 Screens Across America Including 2 in San Diego! — Aug. 29, 2012
- Opening This Week — Aug. 23, 2012