Various Authors 4:58 p.m., May 28
Sinister, written and directed by Scott Derrickson, who also wrote and directed The Exorcism of Emily Rose, is just in time for the spooky season. The film intertwines "found" Super 8 footage and the actual narrative, centering on a true-crimes writer (Ethan Hawke) researching "how and why a family was murdered in his new home, though his discoveries put his entire family in the path of a supernatural entity." The film is 110 minutes and rated R.
So far Rotten Tomatoes is showing that 100% of viewers like and/or recommend the film for it's controlled pacing and horrifically disturbing scenes. (Note that it doesn't mean Sinister has a 100% rating as a film, but that 100% of reviewers enjoyed it.) I can't stomach the trailer right now (got to 3 seconds and shut it down, but I will see it this month), though I'm posting it for you because you're brave. Sinister debuts at AMC La Jolla (8657 Villa La Jolla Dr) on Friday, October 5 with showtimes from 11:55 a.m. to 10:35 p.m. The film will screen at AMC Mission Valley, AMC Palm Promenade, and Krikorian Vista Village on October 11.
More like this:
- Something new has been added at The Big Screen — July 15, 2014
- Review: The Last Exorcism Part II — March 4, 2013
- Review: Sinister — Oct. 11, 2012
- For a Good Time, Call... Opening on 28 Screens Across America Including 2 in San Diego! — Aug. 29, 2012
- Opening This Week — Aug. 23, 2012