The Canyoneers noon, Dec. 17
Afoot to Twin Peaks
Weekend hike in Poway ends in an ocean view
This weekend my husband and I were going to set out for hiking in Julian but discovered some of the trails had been closed because of the rain. We set out to hike Twin Peaks in Poway, a two-mile roundtrip hike that is moderately strenuous according to Afoot and Afield San Diego County: A Comprehensive Hiking Guide, which we picked up at a local REI.
The trail starts in Silverset Park in Poway (14795 Silverset Street) where there is free parking. The trail is shrubby, striated, and gravelly. The path is wide in many parts, becoming moderately strenuous in the last half or quarter mile with a steeper incline.
Near the top, you can begin to see Poway, the rest of San Diego, and hills and even a sliver of hazy blue ocean. We made it to the peak with our ten-year old dog.
More like this:
- Many ways to the top at Woodson — July 9, 2014
- A closer look at the trailers for Oblivion and After Earth — Dec. 12, 2012
- Volcan Mountain — Nov. 19, 2012
- Beach Visit: Cabrillo National Monument — July 3, 2012
- Twin Peaks — Aug. 18, 2010