Garrett Harris 4 p.m., Jan. 16
Art Museum Day at MCASD
Highlights at the museum include Doug Wheeler’s “DW 68 VEN MCASD,” in which the perimeter of one wall emits light, distorting depth perception. The entire room glows from the white neon lights tucked out of sight. A museum docent told me that the room adheres strictly to guidelines given by Wheeler (the room’s dimension, paint color, lighting fixtures) to create sensory effects.
James Turrell’s “Wedgework V” requires visitors to walk through a pitch-black passageway. I felt the prickly fear of not knowing where I was going and also exhilaration to be led by an artist into a designed space. It made me pit reality with perception: Is there a screen? A projection? Is it all real?
The museum’s newest collections include “Iconic,” which showcases minimalist perspectives. “Zodiac Heads/Circle of Animals: Gold,” an installation of twelve animal heads is Ai Wei Wei’s debut at MCASD.
Art Museum Day runs from 11 a.m. through 5 p.m. on Friday, May 18.
More like this:
- Alt.pictureshows 2012 Tonight at MCASD La Jolla — Aug. 30, 2012
- Alternative picture shows — Aug. 21, 2012
- Free Screening of Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry This Friday at MCASD LJ — July 18, 2012
- Free Thursday Museum of Contemporary Art — June 21, 2012
- Neil Kendricks' 9th Annual alt.pictureshows Returns to MCASD La Jolla — Aug. 17, 2011