Jay Allen Sanford 9:31 p.m., Sept. 30
Beach Visit: Blacks Beach (Nudity Optional)
Blacks Beach isn't the easiest beach to find. If you Google "Blacks Beach," a number of unhelpful sites pop up with cryptic directions, faraway entrances, miles-long hikes, and no real address. But here's the easiest way to the somewhat secluded optional nude beach: from wherever you are, get to the west side of UCSD via the Torrey Pines Scenic Drive and turn into the Gliderport (2800 Torrey Pines Scenic Dr). Take the paved road to the end and park in one of the free dirt lots. The state beaches run from the reserve two miles north or so.
(We didn't take photos on the beach because visitors were...nude.)
The steps down to the beach are a hike. Tourists sometimes hike partway down to watch the gliders without getting into the nude part of the beach. The vibe at Blacks Beach is relaxed. Today at 2 p.m., two or three naked toddlers played in the surf with their naked parents. If this Saturday was any indication of what it's like on most weekends, Blacks Beach is 90% men, and 10% women. Nudity is optional, and there are no trash receptacles or bathrooms near the beach.
More like this:
- Bares Rule! Black’s Beach exposed — Sept. 7, 2006
- Circumnavigate Del Mar on foot via beach and pine-dotted canyons. — June 22, 2006
- Walk or run the beach from La Jolla Shores to Torrey Pines reserve. — Sept. 12, 2002
- Best of 2000: Best Beach Hike — Dec. 28, 2000
- The extension area of Torrey Pines State Reserve at Del Mar offers narrow, seldom-trodden pathways. — June 11, 1998