Dave Rice 11:30 a.m., March 11
Artists & Musicians Take a Stand
Commune is a local arts advocacy program that supports artists, designers, and musicians who "stand against [tobacco] corporations and their presence in the scene." Commune partners with local musicians and DJs for monthly events every last Wednesday of the month, and on Wednesday, June 27 at 9 p.m., Commune hosts an event at Whistle Stop (2236 Fern St) where the community can gather to view art, discuss the cause, and support other artists and musicians.
"...the tobacco industry's pervasive marketing in our scene has manufactured an image that [creative people] smoke. So now young people that look up to us believe that smoking is more important than creativity, music and self-expression to fit in. We're out to change this distorted image of the scene," says Commune.
Each month, Commune showcases a local artist voted by San Diego residents. This month, Commune features Lucy Duarte who commented on why she thinks Commune is effective: "They don’t come and lecture you as to why smoking is bad...They really do a great job getting involved with the community and integrating good health, good music and good art all in one event."
More like this:
- Commune 5-year anniversary with Dead Feather Moon and Adam Salter — Feb. 24, 2013
- Commune to quit — Nov. 14, 2012
- Comic Fest on Hotel Circle, Day Three: Photo Report — Oct. 21, 2012
- Comic Fest on Hotel Circle, Day Two: Photo Report — Oct. 21, 2012
- San Diego cartoon postcards for 2013 - what & where shall we draw? — Sept. 25, 2012