Don Bauder 12:30 p.m., Aug. 30
On July 14, Tomato Battle comes to San Diego (404 Euclid Ave). Each year, thousands throng to the event in various cities for live music, dancing, alcohol, and nearly 300,000 pounds of roma tomatoes. The event opens at 1 p.m. with live music and a costume contest, then the battle, and wash-up. The tomatoes are overripe and marked for disposal rather than sales; Tomato Battle's website calls this an "efficient and entertaining use of nonedible waste."
Registration is required, and goggles are recommended, as well as shoes with tread, and a change of clothes.
More like this:
- Cauliflower ceviche at the Vegetarian Cuisine & Arts Festival in Tijuana — March 20, 2013
- Art/Oberfest tonight — Oct. 6, 2012
- Literary event at Mingei — Sept. 18, 2012
- Drones at Home - Phase III Begins — June 5, 2012
- U19 Battle of the Bands Begins July 31 — July 28, 2011