Don Bauder 9 p.m., Aug. 22
May Star Roller Disco Dance Party
When I was a young sprout growing up in East County, roller skating at Aquarius was the default dream party for just about everybody under 10 years old.
I still fondly remember the countless birthdays and school trips at the now defunct disco-era time warp - getting loose to the funky chicken, falling on my ass, and macking down corn dogs trying to beat the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles arcade game.
The nostalgia is almost palpable.
Fortunately, San Diego Skateworld in Linda Vista lives on in tribute to the time honored tradition of busting a hip attempting the Y-M-C-A on eight wheels backwards.
May Star, who is in her 6th year of curating the monthly Fashion Whore electro/nu-disco/indie dance and fashion night at the Ruby Room, will be hosting a roller disco dance party at Skateworld on January 12 from 8 to 10 p.m.
Skates are included, but blades are an extra $4 at the rink.
Bring food, blankers, new socks, and new underwear to donate to charity.
San Diego Skateworld -6907 Linda Vista Road
More like this:
- The Title or Trailer Game IV: Catch It! — March 20, 2012
- Unexpected Beatles Art: Fab 4 Turns Up in the Oddest Places — Feb. 11, 2012
- Dinner at the Range — Jan. 29, 2012
- Contraband from a Vantage Point — Jan. 10, 2012
- 100 Worst Album Covers of All Time — May 25, 2011