Richard Meltzer 5:01 p.m., Dec. 4
Hemingway's great granddaughter
Ernest Hemingway's great granddaughter, Dree Hemingway, stars in Starlet, which opens Friday, December 7, at Ken Cinema (4061 Adams Ave). (BTW, I went to elementary school with her brother!) On Saturday, December 8, the film's director, co-writer and editor Sean Baker will appear for a Q&A session after the 5:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. screenings.
"Provocative, haunting, unpredictable and surprisingly sweet, director Sean Baker continues in the naturalistic style of his previous films (Prince of Broadway, Take Out), capturing the rhythms of everyday life with an authenticity rarely seen in cinema."
I like the "naturalistic style" but just based on this trailer, it might help to watch the film ironically? Privilege, race/class, drugs, Bingo, some dilemma. Is this film about creating your own first world problems and solving them? I don't know. What do you think? I guess we can ask Sean Baker on Saturday!
Tickets cost $7.50-10.00.
More like this:
- Interview with Starlet director and co-writer Sean Baker — Dec. 4, 2012
- San Diego Asian Film Festival — Oct. 26, 2012
- The Shins & Washed Out come to town — Sept. 26, 2012
- Midnight Madness presents Indiana Jones — Aug. 22, 2012
- Complete Rundown of The San Diego Latino Film Festival's Opening Night Celebración! — March 8, 2012