DJ Stevens 3:30 p.m., Sept. 17
Benefit for Blind Man's Around-the-World Sail Trip
It's not often that you get a chance to help a blind man make his way...around the world in a sailboat.
On Saturday, October 1, local jazz musicians will meet at Humphrey's Backstage Lounge to play a benefit show to help fund Dennis Howard's solo journey around the world.
Howard, who lost 95 percent of his vision to a rare form of Glaucoma, plans to start his trip next month, after the hurricane season ends.
"My goal is to inspire people with any kind of disability, whatever it is, to show them that there are possibilities," Howard said during an interview last week.
Among the performers on the bill are jazz sax-player Daniel Jackson, violinist Jaime Shadowlight, the ZenKeys Cooperative, and Todo Mundo. Dennis Howard will also play a set.
The show starts at 1pm.
More like this:
- Tayari Howard to Resurrect Smooth Jazz Online — Feb. 29, 2012
- 12 Films From 2011 That Brightened My Life in the Dark — Jan. 2, 2012
- A Taste of Fame: Local Tribute Bands (even Bill Shatner?!) — Sept. 23, 2011
- Legally Blind Man Gearing Up to Sail Around the World — Sept. 20, 2011
- 100 Worst Album Covers of All Time — May 25, 2011