Catherine Spearnak 10:30 a.m., March 31
Benefit for Blind Man's Around-the-World Sail Trip
It's not often that you get a chance to help a blind man make his way...around the world in a sailboat.
On Saturday, October 1, local jazz musicians will meet at Humphrey's Backstage Lounge to play a benefit show to help fund Dennis Howard's solo journey around the world.
Howard, who lost 95 percent of his vision to a rare form of Glaucoma, plans to start his trip next month, after the hurricane season ends.
"My goal is to inspire people with any kind of disability, whatever it is, to show them that there are possibilities," Howard said during an interview last week.
Among the performers on the bill are jazz sax-player Daniel Jackson, violinist Jaime Shadowlight, the ZenKeys Cooperative, and Todo Mundo. Dennis Howard will also play a set.
The show starts at 1pm.
More like this:
- A Taste of Fame: Local Tribute Bands (even Bill Shatner?!) — Sept. 23, 2011
- Legally Blind Man Gearing Up to Sail Around the World — Sept. 20, 2011
- Local Tribute Bands, plus I Sold My Albums, Rockin’ Tattoos & TJ Bathrooms — May 23, 2008
- Blues VS Blues, 50 Historic Local Concerts, War Stories, Boy Shakira & more — March 7, 2008
- 50 Historic Local Concerts 1956-2006 — Jan. 24, 2008