Mike Madriaga 10:30 a.m., May 26
Whiskey Girl on 5th Ave. NOT Shutting Down, Say Owners
Contrary to rampant local rumor, the downtown 5th Avenue bar Whiskey Girl is not shutting down. According to the operators, it's getting a makeover, with a new location in early 2012.
"We've been hearing rumors that Whiskey Girl is shutting down for good and that couldn't be farther from the truth," says co-owner David Schiffman. "Our lease is up at the end of December and we've been scouting new locations in the Gaslamp Quarter so that Whiskey Girl will be better than ever when we move."
According to Schiffman, the partnership welcomes the Verant Group to the location it occupied for so many years and wishes them well.
"It's been a great space for us, but it's time for a change in venues so that we can take Whiskey Girl to the next level."
The nightclub is owned by partners David Schiffman, Robert Lane, and Vania Raitano, who also own the Range Kitchen and Cocktails in Hillcrest. Other Schiffman operations include the Tipsy Crow, downtown's Double Deuce, and the 1st Street Bar in Encinitas.
More like this:
- Movie Poster Rejects You've Never Seen: Jaws, Batman, Supergirl, more — May 22, 2012
- The Crazy Credits, Crawls, and Cautionary Warnings Quiz — Sept. 30, 2011
- Today in Movie Poster Trends: the Split-Face — Sept. 5, 2011
- Comic-Con Days 1 - 4 Photo Funnies — July 25, 2011
- 100 Worst Album Covers of All Time — May 25, 2011