Walter Mencken 11 a.m., May 24
Latin Jazz Thursdays at Voz Alta
Thursday's are Latin jazz night lead by trumpeter Bill Caballero at the Voz Alta art space in Barrio Logan. The music starts at 7 and goes till about 10, but show up early to enjoy the art and save a seat.
Last time I visited, about six weeks ago, the place was standing room only by 8:30. An art exhibit called "Attack of the Lazer Bean" by Ricardo Islas and Segio Hernandez depicted Chicano icons in a cartoony, street style.
The current exhibit, Brave New World, features the work of BriskOne, Herman Placensia, and Leocifer767.
Voz Alta is at 1754 National Avenue.
More like this:
- Enigmatic Party: sights and sounds of Baja in the Barrio — Sept. 21, 2013
- Merry Christmas from Your Pals at The Big Screen — Dec. 25, 2011
- Frank Zappa Would Have Been 71 Today - Viva La Bizarre! — Dec. 21, 2011
- Anatomy Of An Ad Campaign: Walt Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs — July 25, 2011
- 100 Worst Album Covers of All Time — May 25, 2011