1:30 p.m., July 30
San Diego Naked Bike Ride Photos
I intercepted the second annual San Diego naked bike ride at Broadway and Harbor Drive just before the mass of riders joined SlutWalk at City Hall. The ride, which maxed out at 33 riders (compared to last year's 61), had already gone from Evolution Fast Food in Bankers Hill, downtown, up Pershing, and through North Park and Hillcrest. Having been denied an exception to the city’s nudity law, the “bare as you dare” event saw most in thongs and bikinis or body paint.
San Diego City’s nudity law states that “No person over the age of ten years shall be nude and exposed to public view…” while the County law says it is “unlawful for any person to appear, sunbathe, bathe, walk, disrobe, or otherwise be nude in any public place except in an area expressly set aside for such purpose or in those portions of a comfort location, if expressly set aside for such purpose.” Violation is punishable by a fine of no more than $500 and imprisonment for no more than six months.
Though it is not explicitly stated in the law, the police assured us that underboob counts as nudity. A friend was provided with yellow duct tape to conceal her submammaries from public eye.
(Photo credit: Christian Cullen)
This girl did the whole ride on a longboard!
The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence representing.
More like this:
- Movie Poster Rejects You've Never Seen: Jaws, Batman, Supergirl, more — May 22, 2012
- Bush Optimistic About Third Annual Naked Bike Ride — May 16, 2012
- Dream Theater December 1 @ Balboa Theater: Photos — Dec. 3, 2011
- Picture Story: Grand Opening of the Newly Refurbished Coronado Village Theater — June 24, 2011
- Second Annual San Diego World Naked Bike Ride — June 9, 2011