• Out and About alerts

As part of the World Naked Bike Ride, which takes place in 70 cities and 20 countries around the world, a gang of intrepid cyclists will be meeting at 1 p.m. this Saturday, June 11, at Evolution Fast Food (formerly Nature’s Express) in Bankers Hill for a "bare as you dare" spin around the city.

“The ride last year gave me a total headache dealing with cops calling my cell phone and people fearful of participating after we were denied our right to be fully nude,” says 21-year-old San Diego World Naked Bike Ride organizer Sarah Bush. “I had no idea what the hell would happen. Fortunately, an energetic crew arrived with their American flags and bright body paint. Riders just got it. There were no arrests or tickets issued because we're pretty harmless half naked on bicycles following traffic laws.”

Last year, Bush and her attorney intended to file a request for an injunction to lift the city’s anti-nudity ordinance for the day of the event. Despite Federal Judge Larry Burns decreeing that the ordinance would remain in place, about 100 riders showed up in varying degrees of undress for the afternoon ride.

“Being the first WNBR for San Diego, riders were careful not to step on toes,” Bush says. “We had to prove ourselves decent folk. For every year this event continues, the shock value decreases, and lord knows how far people will push the line this year.

“Last year cops were sticklers about me wearing pasties under my body paint which shouldn't have been an issue. The law states an opaque covering is sufficient, but Mr. Officer followed me around on the route shouting for me to put on pasties or something. He had a problem with the outline of my nipples, so I had to wrap a scarf around my chest although San Diego law has no problem with body paint. It's all debatable and perhaps others will push that line this year. I personally can't afford that.”

This year’s ride will be following a pre-planned route downtown to join SlutWalk and then head up Pershing to North Park, Hillcrest, and an afterparty.

“I'm more of a light-hearted, cyclist enthusiast rather than a radical looking to make a political statement, so it's nice to have a crew with differing viewpoints working the ride. The fun about WNBR is it's all done with good intentions, and so long as no one gets hurt, it'll all be okay.

Saturday, June 11 – 1 p.m. – Evolution Fast Food – 2965 5th Ave

Image

• Out and About alerts

More like this:

Comments

Radical Uterus June 9, 2011 @ 7:56 p.m.

I admire their courage. I wish I could still ride a bicycle. The only thing driving my workouts now is the thrill of leaving a sexy corpse.

I can imagine the morgue guys conversation. "How old was she?" "Ahhh, says here 99." "Man, I'd still do her."

LovesHillcrest June 9, 2011 @ 10:25 p.m.

Hey, Reader....check out the big blue & white city signs next time you enter the community of Bankers Hill.

There is NO apostrophe in its name, and your publication consistently makes this error.

Please get to know your San Diego neighborhoods!

Five years ago, Banker's Hill was the norm. We recently noticed online consensus has teetered toward an apostrophe-less spelling. So we changed it...picky. — some Ed.

SanDiegoParrothead June 10, 2011 @ 10:22 a.m.

Editor:

So you changed it to conform to the idiots nowadays that don't know their punctuation?

Robert Mizrachi June 10, 2011 @ 1:38 p.m.

No, Parrothead. I went along with the decision after a Google search yielded more hits w/o the apostrophe (Banker's: 424,000 results; Bankers: 1,290,000 results). Just trying to give the people what they want. After further thought, Banker's seemed wrong — no single banker ever owned the entire neighborhood/hill. So, I justified the change that way also. If you search Bankers' Hill, you get the same 1,290,000 results. Why don't we opt for that spelling with the relocated apostrophe? Bankers Hill was where many bankers resided back when, so the plural possessive is most appropriate. But, enough inter-office emails had been sent around on this issue and we had reached a consensus that would save us a keystroke. No need to waste more time on an apostrophe...I'll keep going if you want, though!

Radical Uterus June 11, 2011 @ 9:51 p.m.

The Naked Bike Riders came to support Slutwalk. Thank you Naked Bike Riders. You looked fabulous!

Gail Powell June 12, 2011 @ 8:21 a.m.

I rode in the Naked Ride last year & it was fun! But those cops were hassling everyone-taking all the joy out of being naked (or semi-naked) in public! How can you enjoy being an exhibitionist when you have a police sergeant riding alongside you down 6th Avenue?

bush0529 June 13, 2011 @ 12:01 p.m.

When I see a group of semi-nude, laughing bicyclists beside me, I can't help but be happy no matter how many cops circle us. Any troubles we deal with are worth the smiles and positive energy that come from the ride.

Duhbya June 13, 2011 @ 1:34 p.m.

"The ride last year gave me a total headache dealing with cops calling my cell phone and people fearful of participating after we were denied our right to be fully nude,” says 21-year-old San Diego World Naked Bike Ride organizer Sarah Bush."

Puhleeze (!!!) tell me that "Sarah" is pronounced with an "sh" sound! ;>)