Don Bauder 5:30 p.m., March 14
Elderberry in Bloom
Elderberry, two species of which range over most of San Diego County, is in full bloom this month.
The flat-topped, creamy-white blossoms of this large shrub or small tree can be seen in the natural coastal canyon areas such as Tecolote Canyon and Los Peñasquitos Canyon Preserve, as well as in the more moist areas of the foothills and mountains.
The elderberry's tiny fruits, which ripen in late summer, have traditionally been to make drinks and preserves.
More like this:
- High-Elevation Lilacs in Bloom — May 22, 2011
- Los Peñasquitos Canyon — April 16, 2008
- Explore Lopez Canyon, a serene minor member of the canyon system in Los Peñasquitos Canyon Preserve. — Feb. 5, 2004
- Hike or bike oak-shaded El Moro Canyon in Orange County's Crystal Cove State Park. — March 27, 2003
- Emerald Canyon in Orange County's Laguna Coast Wilderness Park attracts hikers and mountain bikers — Dec. 31, 2000