• Out and About alerts

News helicopters are circling above and the streets are blocked off around Vermont St. and University Avenue in Hillcrest, where a building is on fire. It began around ten minutes ago, and firefighters are still in the process of subduing it. I hope no one is hurt! If you're driving, I'd avoid the area for a little while.

Image

View from my window right now. You can't tell from the image, but I can see flames.

• Out and About alerts

More like this:

Comments

Barbarella Fokos July 6, 2011 @ 3:49 p.m.

One of my Twitter friends, @AHizz, just tweeted this photo from the fire: http://ow.ly/i/dYq4

Evelyn July 6, 2011 @ 3:51 p.m.

do you what building that is? i can't place it atm.

Evelyn July 6, 2011 @ 3:54 p.m.

found it. it seems to be buonissimo

Evelyn July 6, 2011 @ 3:49 p.m.

thanks for this! (just retweeted the reader's rt of your pic)

and this explains all the noise that woke me up. which sounds kind of awful, except it's true. and i know no one will be hurt. (hopefully)

JSK1105 July 6, 2011 @ 4:24 p.m.

It's across the street from the Ralphs shopping center. Hope everyone is safe. You can smell it here in North Park.

historymatters July 6, 2011 @ 5:36 p.m.

I hope someone investigates this. Its always historic buildings that go up in flames here and the Fire Dept never adequately investigates. 4555 Texas was set on fire twice while developer Gary Taylor was trying to get his demo permit. He finally tore it down w/o permit when.

Craftsman at ElCajon and Alabama went up in flames after the developer came by yelling at the homeless guy sleeping in the backyard several days in a row. Coincidentally all of the homeless guys belonging were tossed under the house and set on fire. He was very shaken up by the situation, insisting he never ever had or used any candles or put his stuff under the house that the developer was "burning him out". Coincidentally it was a house slated for demo w/o a valid demo permit.

historymatters July 6, 2011 @ 6:36 p.m.

I dont know why MAST metro arson strike team is so incompetent. Its pretty easy to tell if something is arson. The tell-tale sign is that there is no lawsuit and there is no insurance claim. If neither of those happen I will be very suspicious so I hope they are filing insurance claims as we speak.

Evelyn July 6, 2011 @ 11:15 p.m.

i went grocery shopping this evening and stopped in to be a lookey-lo from across the street on my way home. according to other bystanders:

no one got hurt. the fire started on the roof of buonnisimo, as there was work being done on it. the building next door, which houses/ed obelisk and a home decorating/furniture store (i don't know the name) is essentially gutted. this is mostly from water damage. one spectator had said there had been water flowing out a second story window. the building definitely looked to be burned to a crisp in the back part of the building. the red cross was there (there are apartments in the upper floors of the building next to buonissimo).