Garrett Harris 4 p.m., Dec. 22
Release the Kraken!
Subtext Gallery commemorated its 5th anniversary with a "group exhibition featuring vintage aquatic paintings re-imagined by 30 artists, called Release the Kraken. Known for funky art and awesome openings, the gallery kept up its reputation by adding a live band, The Makeup Sex, and a MIHO Gastrotruck to the party.
Early arrivers like me were lucky to grab one of 50 books (designed by Terri Beth Mitchell of PR1ZE, which were complete with edition numbers and contained a foreword by gallery owners Don Hollis and Dylan Jones. My favorite part in the book (aside from all of the pictures of the artwork contained in the show presented beside the original, unaltered pieces), was the "Special Thanks" bit, in which Hollis and Jones payed tribute to "Krakens, Giant Squid, Merpeople, Swamp Things, Creatures from the Black Lagoon, and all that is scaly and slimy for making this show possible."
It was fun to see how the different artists interpreted the theme. Here are some of the books before/after pages:
One of the pieces, by Gary McIntire (one of Legoland California's master model builders), contained Lego pieces, and was interactive -- by pulling on the tab to the left, people could make both the waves and the sea monster slide side to side as in an animated stage production.
Here are some images from the show:
More like this:
- Zappa's Grandmothers of Invention Playing Anthology Friday, Aug. 17 — Aug. 15, 2012
- Frank Zappa Would Have Been 71 Today - Viva La Bizarre! — Dec. 21, 2011
- Picture Story: Anne Hathaway Has a Bad Day on the Set of Dark Knight Rises — Sept. 26, 2011
- Your New Crush — Aug. 15, 2011
- A Closer Look at the Trailer for One Day: The Many Faces of Anne Hathaway — Aug. 9, 2011