Brandon Hernández 1 p.m., March 28
O'Connells Goes Red, Back in Time: The Griffin
Suggestive of a casino-that-time-forgot from the outside, the venue’s Irish motif has been swapped for a medieval-tavern interior. New wood siding everywhere makes the place smell like a Home Depot (in the good way) or the inside of a barrel.
A full suit of armor overlooks the shuffleboard. A mounted boar’s head observes the bar. Electric candles flicker from the chandeliers. The bartender serves $2 PBRs to an afternoon crowd of maybe ten regulars, mostly older gentlemen.
The Griffin’s proximity to 24-hour Mexican food (MXN/Santana’s - 1975 Morena Boulevard) already makes the place a winner, but with names like Styletones, Dead Feather Moon, and Gabe Vega on the calendar, I wouldn’t be surprised to see The Griffin become a hap’nin nightlife destination, despite the odd time-space location.
The Griffin - 1310 Morena Blvd.
More like this:
- Wired for sound — March 4, 2015
- Between vice and virtue — June 11, 2014
- Habits and Mothers of Gut join local fringebots at The Griffin — Aug. 1, 2013
- Dataset and Big Up Document the Future Sounds of San Diego — Dec. 26, 2011
- Things for Doing: Saturday, August 27 — Aug. 27, 2011