Don Bauder 4:30 p.m., Dec. 9
Suggestive of a casino-that-time-forgot from the outside, the venue’s Irish motif has been swapped for a medieval-tavern interior. New wood siding everywhere makes the place smell like a Home Depot (in the good way) or the inside of a barrel.
A full suit of armor overlooks the shuffleboard. A mounted boar’s head observes the bar. Electric candles flicker from the chandeliers. The bartender serves $2 PBRs to an afternoon crowd of maybe ten regulars, mostly older gentlemen.
The Griffin’s proximity to 24-hour Mexican food (MXN/Santana’s - 1975 Morena Boulevard) already makes the place a winner, but with names like Styletones, Dead Feather Moon, and Gabe Vega on the calendar, I wouldn’t be surprised to see The Griffin become a hap’nin nightlife destination, despite the odd time-space location.
The Griffin - 1310 Morena Blvd.
More like this:
- Careful with that axe, Eugene: open jam Mondays at The Bancroft — Sept. 16, 2013
- Habits and Mothers of Gut join local fringebots at The Griffin — Aug. 1, 2013
- Things for Doing: Saturday, August 27 — Aug. 27, 2011
- TV Girl Releases Benny and the Jetts EP — July 26, 2011
- Temple of Roots — Foreign Love Sound System Meets Blackheart Warriors — June 19, 2011