Robert Bush 9 a.m., March 29
- Community Blog
- NP ★
Is San Diego Wise to Save Water?
We are all being told by the City's Save Water Ad Campaign to save water and that "every drop" is precious; but just how precious is it and what does saving water really cost US? See if you can make sense of these calculations (rounded off a bit), using todays price of water in $an Diego:
$3.50 buys 748.00 gallons of water
$1.00 buys 213.71 gallons of water
213.71 gal. X 8 Pints/Gal = 1709.68 Pints
1709.68 Pints ÷ 1.75 Pints/Liter = 976.96 Liters
976.96 Liters X 1000 mL/Liter = 976,960 mL
976,960 mL X 20 Drops/mL = 19,539,200 Drops !
So 1 US Dollar buys about 19,539,200 Drops of Water!
Said another way:
$1.00 buys over 19 ½ Million drops of Water!
If our Mayor and City Council really thinks it is "Wise to Save Water"; then they better get real busy, saving every Dollar they can, because that task is almost 20 Million times MORE important for $an Diego!
My math is now corrected: Reply to #24
Thank you Altius for correcting my math!
I'm wrong by a factor of 1000 -- Ouch!
20 Billion ÷ 1000 = 20 Million
So the corrected statement should be : If our Mayor and City Council really thinks it is "Wise to Save Water"; then they better get real busy, saving every Dollar they can, because that task is almost 20 Million times MORE important for $an Diego!
More like this:
- Backstage Rider: He Removes the Brown M&Ms - 50 Rockstar Contracts — March 28, 2012
- Before It Was the Gaslamp: Downtown's Grindhouse Row (updated 8-22-09) — July 23, 2008
- Balboa's Last Stand: Balboa Theater circa 70s/80s — June 11, 2008
- Backstage Rider Collection: 50 Rock Star Contracts, plus Virtual Balboa — Sept. 13, 2007
- Does the City Care How Much Water You Use? — Oct. 3, 2002