Evening! Got a pretty swank Runner-Up for the day. Terribly ironic that I've got an entire warehouse of 15.86" lime green pocket dog holders with bright purple lightning bolts embroidered all over. Guess I just can't help the poor girl out.

The most amazing post posted since the last most amazing post ever is this one:

Are you an Irish Marine? (Normal Heights)

Were you fooled? Did you think, "perhaps they are selling Uilleann bagpipes and M-16s at a bargain price!" Maybe you pictured, if only for a second, an entire APC filled with well armed leprechauns in flak jackets. Did you ask yourself, seriously or otherwise, "am I an Irish Marine?"

FOOLED! Fooled by cook books and books about New England (why New England?) surreptitiously querying the world about Gaelic militarism. Muahahahaha! Viral marketing for the new millenium. Thirty (30) years from now we will still discuss, with such fondness, the Irish Marine campaign that catapulted a little known advertising agency--really no more than a young couple with a second-hand Macbook and a healthy dose of vision--to super-stardom at the front of the world-wide race to define the new face of advertising. In this bright future, students of The Market will analyze the meteoric rise of Ha! Gotcha! LLC and the turn from traditional "Values Based" ad campaigns to more postmodern ideas of "Irrational Materialism" and "Neo-Hegelian Product Placement."

"Remember," we will say, "do you remember the Halcyon days of advertising?"

"No," we will answer ourselves, "we remember nothing having to do with kingfishers..."

"The salad days then, if you must be so difficult!" We yell, irate with ourselves for being so. "Do you remember the Old Guard of the Ad-Men? They established the formula of identifying consumers' perceived inadequacies and demonstrating--artfully--the myriad ways in which a given product would fulfill that inadequacy and make the consumer, finally, whole!"

"Ah! Those days" we will say. "Why didn't you just say it like that? What does the kingfisher have to do with anything?"

We ignore ourselves on the matter of the Halcyon and why it indicates prosperity. Forging ahead: "Do you remember when it all came crashing down? The advent of the post-ad advertisement? An ad too suspiciously ironic and too flagrantly non sequitur to inspire anything beyond bafflement and feelings of isolation in consumers. Desperate to stay on the cutting edge of ad-humor, we make purchases to demonstrate that we are In On It, that we Get The Joke made by the post-ad advertisement."

"Ah yes, I remember now, dare I say it...?"

"Dare, DARE!"

"The Wide Ranging and largely Unforeseen Effects of the Irish Marine Campaign! Are you an Irish Marine? Ha, of course not, but I certainly Get the Joke--to prove it I'll take seven books on New England and that shiny Rachel Wray number in the bright, primary colors.

Today's post brought to you by a particularly splendid Bob the Angry Flower strip.

Comics!

Comments

FullFlavorPike Sept. 30, 2009 @ 8:44 a.m.

Glad you follow, SDaniels, as sometimes I'm not sure I do ;)

CuddleFish Sept. 30, 2009 @ 9:26 a.m.

I have an old BHG cookbook and a new one. Love the old one for the look of it, but the new one is more useful.

Golly, the things we used to have to learn in Home Ec!

CuddleFish Sept. 28, 2009 @ 5:05 a.m.

Might want to dial down on the Starbucks a tad, there, tiger. :)

Loved the cartoon.

SDaniels Sept. 30, 2009 @ 2:43 a.m.

RE: the post-ad ad:

The general public has become used to, and even to some degree expects irony and self-reflexivity in advertising--of course with liberal splashes of naive presence ("now, more than ever") to counteract the effect :)

It will make me a happy deconstructionist to buy a New England text and a cookbook, pref. Mastering the Art of French Cooking, or Better Homes and Gardens, and set them up so I can read juxtaposed portions of text! :)

FullFlavorPike Sept. 30, 2009 @ 12:10 p.m.

I took Home EC and the teacher absolutely HATED me. Partly because I was a major PITA in those days, but also because a dude isn't supposed to be the best cook in the class.

CuddleFish Sept. 30, 2009 @ 12:38 p.m.

Oh, there must a genetic component to this cooking biz, by the way: My son is taking cooking classes and can't cook worth a lick! I'm not kidding, he brings home samples every week, looks bad, tastes okay.

FullFlavorPike Sept. 30, 2009 @ 2:31 p.m.

Shnah, no genetic handicaps to be had. Anyone who loves flavor can learn to cook like an artist.

David Dodd Sept. 30, 2009 @ 3:27 p.m.

"Anyone who loves flavor can learn to cook like an artist."

I agree, Pike. I often kid about any ability I have being genetic (my father and his mother were excellent cooks), but I think it's all about loving the taste. I never cooked anything until I got into my thirties. Now I do the majority of the cooking, and it's all pretty much self-taught.

Although I give a lot of credit to any Mexican dishes I do (aside from enchilladas, which I cook Spanish style rather than Mexican style) to my MIL. I mimic her and ask a lot of questions.

SDaniels Oct. 3, 2009 @ 3:12 a.m.

The well-known group, Acronymically Challenged Lexographers Unite (ACLU), pleads: I know what a MIL is, but not a PITA...

FullFlavorPike Oct. 3, 2009 @ 3:58 p.m.

The only-slightly-less-well-known group, Association of Acronym Advocates (AAA) explains:

(P)ain (I)n (T)he (A)$$

SDaniels Oct. 12, 2009 @ 2:21 a.m.

...aand it's always something totally obvious, but I still gulp and make the enquiry :,