Super late night at work this evening. Lots of difficulties leave me very tired. Midnight blogging sesh in full swing. Craigslist curiously shy on interesting posts today, so I'm lucky that the whole day has passed by and the best ads have had time to accumulate and coagulate, readying themselves for my scrutinies. As such, your Runner-Up gets the big nod today. Unintentional hilarity ensues when a (presumed) musician manages to misspell "Fender." Even better when there's a picture of the item in question, brand name clearly spelled out in the familiar, doubtlessly trademarked script.

And now, the thing you've been awaiting today's Best Ad:

Fall season decorations - $5 (Normal Heights, San Diego)

I guess these peeps are capitalizing on the noticeably earlier sunsets as of late, trying to move the seasonable goods mid-season. As far as I know, this goes against conventional wisdom in the consumer goods sector. On the extremely rare occasion that I set foot inside a store I notice that the stuff for sale usually preempts the season by a couple three months or so. Get your swimsuits in early spring, winter woolens in late summer, &c. Perhaps this is why the fall season decorations are offered for the seemingly paltry price of five (5) bucks. A steal, in my opinion.

The cool part of these things is that they're arrangements of artificial oak and maple leaves, perhaps with a smattering of other hardwoods mixed in there. The pure liquid awesomeness of this, the unadulterated radness, is that we live in a desert and these leaves are so totally wrong for a San Diego fall. Where, exactly, in San Diego is it that the maple forests get down with their deciduous selves and put on the fireworks display which, when I was a kid in NH, brought the droves of tourists from Connecticut out to look at trees and pump out-of-state cash into small town economies? Somehow, I just don't see the fall season decorations as fooling anyone, ever. I think there's even a few cranberries in there. I wonder in which of the greater San Diego area's bogs these cranberries might have grown?

I actually really love the idea of a totally out of place decoration or whathaveyou. I have this peculiar habit of giving people inappropriate cards. Not "inappropriate" in the manner of, say, crude sexual innuendo, just "inappropriate" in terms of being designed for the wrong holiday. For example, a "Congratulations on Your Bat Mitzvah!" card for my mother's birthday--particularly funny because we're a family of Gentiles. For this reason I completely dig and support the hanging of botanically inaccurate foliage in the name of autumn.

Comments

SDaniels Sept. 27, 2009 @ 3:44 a.m.

"Super late night at work this evening. Lots of difficulties leave me very tired." God, do I know. The word "readying" above looked at first like "re-a-dying," which means it is time to pack it in, evaluation of crappy memos finished--or not.

A greeting card announcing "Our sympathies are with you in this difficult time" would be appropriate about now.

Enough bitching. Pike queried:

"Where, exactly, in San Diego is it that the maple forests get down with their deciduous selves and put on the fireworks display...?"

We do have plentiful liquid ambar trees where folks have had enough sense to plant them; they change their leaves in a mapleish way. Yes, that is "ambar" with an "a," just like "fendar" with an "a."

You get an A- minus for this entry, Pikey. :)

FullFlavorPike Sept. 27, 2009 @ 8:23 a.m.

A- ? Hells yeah! I feel like the kid who did his homework at the last second and thinks everyone will catch on. Mostly, I'm going with the maxim that a less than perfect blog day is better than a day with zero creative output. I do live in a particularly scorched part of town where there are basically no trees at all, so perhaps the raging sun just beat me down yesterday.

FullFlavorPike Sept. 27, 2009 @ 8:25 a.m.

PS: Way to be up way later than me last night, yo. Makes my whinging seem paltry ;)

antigeekess Sept. 27, 2009 @ 12:40 p.m.

"Mostly, I'm going with the maxim that a less than perfect blog day is better than a day with zero creative output."

That's good, especially since you live in a "dessert."

Sah-WEET! ;)

(Just pokin' at ya, Pikey.)

SDaniels Sept. 27, 2009 @ 3:26 p.m.

You are so right, sir. Whinging is much funner than whining, too.

PS, Pikey: Subliminal messaging of the day: [elevator music begins soft play] Antigeekess is a VERY cute grrrrrl. :)

antigeekess Sept. 27, 2009 @ 7:51 p.m.

You've never even seen me, Daniels! What optimism!

And poor Pikey's probably young enough to be my kid.

(Don't worry, Pikey. The big, bad old cougar lady lives many, many miles away from SD.)

SDaniels Sept. 27, 2009 @ 8:26 p.m.

Yes, I have, AG. You once directed me to a site with a photo--'member?

My guess is that Pike is around our age.

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 27, 2009 @ 8:27 p.m.

You've never even seen me, Daniels! What optimism!

By antigeekess

But I have;

SDaniels Sept. 27, 2009 @ 8:33 p.m.

PS: How old is a cougar, do you think?

FullFlavorPike Sept. 27, 2009 @ 10:19 p.m.

In my defense, whinging is totally legit Brit-English. I did fix the "dessert" error, however, so thanks for that 100% gratis line edit!

Also, Wikipedia reports that a cougar can live between 8-13 years in the wild. So, SDaniels, apparently cougars aren't that old :)

David Dodd Sept. 27, 2009 @ 10:31 p.m.

Whinging threw me for a loop as well, the first time I read it, but I looked it up and Pike is correct, it's proper. But let's talk about cougars in "cougar-years"...

I put AG at around 37. It's my imagination, but that's where I place her (ain't no 25 year old that witty;).

SDaniels Sept. 27, 2009 @ 10:49 p.m.

Gringo ventured: "(ain't no 25 year old that witty)"

Clearly, you have not met any of the women in my family, including the 22-year old who puts grown male comics, pundits, and photogs to shame. Prouda that grrrll, I ams.

David Dodd Sept. 27, 2009 @ 10:50 p.m.

Brilliant, Pike. Somewhere along the way in my blogging life, I also made fun of Alanis and her misplaced sense of irony. Like the guy who is afraid of flying and then gets killed in a crash on an airplane. Irony? Naw. But a fairly successful B-movie.

David Dodd Sept. 27, 2009 @ 10:51 p.m.

CuddleFish Sept. 27, 2009 @ 11:03 p.m.

Great link, Pike! I thought you meant to say whinging!

antigeekess Sept. 27, 2009 @ 11:51 p.m.

"But AG is a princess,"

A pwincess? Moi? More like a queen.

A drag queen, that is. ;)

Just your ordinary, average, snarky gay dude trapped in a straight woman's body. That's about it.

SDaniels Sept. 28, 2009 @ midnight

"SD: My sixteen year old also breaks the mold. Well, mostly. But AG is a princess, and I stand by my prediction ;)"

You will find no argument from me. :)

FullFlavorPike Sept. 28, 2009 @ 12:57 a.m.

Well, I'm 8 (and a half!), so I guess that makes me the SuperMegaPWNAGEMaster of snarky kids.

Shnah! But aint PWNAGE just the coolest word? Kids use that, right?

I watched that Byrne bit with all my English major friends in college and we all, to a person, cracked up uproariously at the Simile/Metaphor joke well before the punchline. Our kind of joke, apparently.

AG: Now I have the phrase "ordinary, average snarky gay dude trapped in a straight woman's body" being sung to the melody of Joe Walsh's "Ordinary Averge Guy" and I have NO idea why this is. It's definitely troubling though and definitely not really working out so well in my exhausted mind. Thanks ;)

SDaniels Sept. 28, 2009 @ 1:25 a.m.

"...we all, to a person, cracked up uproariously at the Simile/Metaphor joke well before the punchline. Our kind of joke, apparently."

I'll have to finish watching. Cut off after he said "whinging."

FullFlavorPike Sept. 28, 2009 @ 7:49 a.m.

Do, it's funny stuff. It won't ruin Alanis for you, I promise.

CuddleFish Sept. 27, 2009 @ 1:39 a.m.

Ooooh, you beat me to the fall decoration theme by one measly day!