All sorts of amazing things happen when I turn my back on the interwebs: this guy learned how to spell "Fender;" maybe he read my blog wherein I pointed out his literary shortcoming? Somebody down the road from me is flipping bike frames which I am 100% certain he bought in Chula Vista for $5 each about two weeks ago (I saw the ad then and wanted one. Now's my chance!). Also, the phrase all good stuff for burning has finally been uttered in English!

Anyways, guess who's back for a Runner-Up award? That's right, it's Frogtoes! What's this, his third, Runner-Up award? I'd feel bad for keeping my man Frogtoes off the winners' pedestal if victory in this contest was worth something more than the respect and adulation of the six (6) people who read this.

And the moment of truth, the day's big winner, edging out Frogtoes by a plastic hair's breadth:

Halloween!! - $60 (Normal Heights)

I'll just give you a little time to click that link...

Let it load up...

Let you take it all in...

You get there yet?

Not what you expected, was it? Certainly took me by surprise. "Gee," I thought, "I sure do like Halloween. Particularly with double bangs (!!) attached. I wonder what... Whoa! Hey-o, Drag Queen! Definitely didn't see you standing there in your calf-high boots and flower child shirtdresssmocksuit thing. O-Tay! I was expecting a plastic jack-o-lantern or a dangley skeleton or something, but hey, whatever, SURPRISE! Drag queens can be hiding anywhere, right. They could be right behind you.

You can see why I had to pass the wonder along. Pay it forward, yeah?

Well then, as lists have been the order of the day lately:

Potential Halloween Costumes For Yours Truly

Mario and Luigi: As I am tall and skinny, I require a shorter, fatter, equally mustache growing friend to complete the get-up. Plans for Halloween as Mario and Luigi: Get drunk and jump on turtles and mushrooms. Inspiration: Viral video, natch.

Animaniacs: I've actually run this idea by a guy and girl friend combo. They have other plans, but wouldn't I make a killer Yakko? I was watching this show the other day and I'd forgotten how tremendously cool it was. I was a little too "mature" for it back in the day, but in retrospect I should have relaxed a bit and enjoyed some fine TV. How did I forget that Wakko had the voice of Ringo Starr? Awesome. Plans for Halloween as Animaniacs: Memorize all those awesome songs. Get drunk and sing those awesome songs ad infinitum. Inspiration: I actually know almost the whole song already. Hellyer!

Jay and Silent Bob: My best friend and I dressed up as Jay and Silent Bob for two years in a row when we were teens. (He lives in San Diego too) Doing so again would be unspeakably lame. Doing so with a sense of irony, however, would of course be unspeakably hip. Plans for Halloween as Jay and Silent Bob: Get drunk and recite Clerks monologues. Inspiration: Stuff I thought was the epitome of cool during childhood (I still do think this...)

Dress Up as Roommate and Vice Versa: Did I mention my best friend from childhood is actually my roommate in the lightless, torture dungeon? Well, he is. Basically, this costume consists of borrowing my roommate's clothing, lending my roommate some clothing, and then irritating everybody by making them guess who I am for Halloween. Prolly no one will get it. Plans for Halloween: Get drunk and find it hilarious that I dressed as my roommate (and vice versa) for Halloween. Inspiration: What can I say, I live with the guy and he's my best friend. Plus, we shamelessly promote each others' blogging efforts.

90's Kid: Since all the cool kids rock mullets and dress like it's 1985 all over again, it seems prudent to do some sort of "Man of the Future" thing and get all done up in the raddest fashions of 1990's youth. I'm feeling a set of overalls held up by just one strap and a No Fear shirt. If I can get some sneakers with pumps in the tongues, all the better. This costume works best if I can get a girl to join me with an ensemble of stirrup pants, flannel shirt, and scrunchie. Plans for Halloween as 1990's Man of the Future: Get drunk and try to get someone to recite the theme song from "Fresh Prince." Inspiration: Endless. But Angst for the memories!

Comments

Adam92102 Oct. 11, 2009 @ 11:26 p.m.

Weeeeeeeeell this is a story all about how my life got flip-turned upside down....

Whoa. Sorry about that. Um, anyway. As for the 90s kid, I was thinking one person you could be that spanned both the 80s AND the 90s is Marty McFly. I mean, seriously. The flannel with the sleeveless vest-coat-thingie, jeans and the shiny white sneaks. All of that stuff can be bought at a thrift store, too.

As for the Mario and Luigi, I so wish we still worked with Francisco. Holy crap, that would have been perfect. He's pretty much the perfect Mario (just not Italian). But in my head the image of you two standing next to each other all decked out like Mario and Luigi makes it hard not to laugh. A lot.

Anyway. I hope you find your costume and it's not this dress/thing you have in your 'hood. Just lock your doors for the next several weeks. It'll pass.

SDaniels Oct. 12, 2009 @ 12:45 a.m.

"This costume works best if I can get a girl to join me with an ensemble of stirrup pants, flannel shirt, and scrunchie."

That was the uniform of my 14-year old self! I'm in!

The funniest costume I ever had: The Twin Peaks party. I had to watch a bunch of episodes in order to pick out a character. I ended up going as a woman who puts cotton balls in her curtain rod joints, because they make an annoying scraping sound.

Btw, Pike. Did you notice that frogtoes's 'instruments' were "needles free?!" It is heartening to know that in this day and age, someone with the handle of that older, creepier guy whose house you and all of your seventh-grade class hung out at (in your stirrups, flannels, and scrunchies, of course) is ready, willing, and able to witness that hard drugs are just not cool. Kids look for drugs everywhere; in medicine cabinets, locker rooms, craigslist ads for aircraft instruments--let 'em know it ain't goin' down here, frogtoes!

SDaniels Oct. 12, 2009 @ 1:15 a.m.

You mean Pike? Or Adam? I'm confused...:)

CuddleFish Oct. 12, 2009 @ 1:25 a.m.

Believe it was Adam depicted painting in the YouTube link.

Adam92102 Oct. 12, 2009 @ 1:34 a.m.

Not this Adam. I only wish I had that talent. My only two connections to Pike are work and this blogosphere. Hmm, felt a weird twinge in my neck when I typed that. First time, maybe? So yeah. I am not the ar-teest in Pike's link.

SDaniels Oct. 12, 2009 @ 1:38 a.m.

Wow! I missed that link first time around. I LOVE watching people paint--my mother, aunt, cousin, and grandmother all worked in oils, watercolor, pencil. What I love about watching Adam's process is the number of layers he puts down. There are quite a few stories told underneath the final product. And Adam's pretty easy on the eyes, too ;)

antigeekess Oct. 12, 2009 @ 1:40 a.m.

Adam, are you on YouTube?

(Assuming you're willing to tell us, that is.)

SDaniels Oct. 12, 2009 @ 1:40 a.m.

Oops. It was the guy who runs the comic art program for kids. We still think you are talented with a "pencil," Adam :)

CuddleFish Oct. 12, 2009 @ 2:07 a.m.

Oh, oops, sorry, I got from the thread that it was Adam, but apparently not.

Adam92102 Oct. 12, 2009 @ 2:12 a.m.

I'm so lost right now. All I know is that dude in one of Pike's links is good with a paintbrush. That's Pike's roomie and childhood friend, I believe, but I've never met him. Again, I only create beautiful masterpieces that happen to look and taste like pizzas.

SDaniels Oct. 12, 2009 @ 2:14 a.m.

Masterpizzas are to be proud of too, Adam! Post your link for us only if you are comfortable :)

Adam92102 Oct. 12, 2009 @ 2:26 a.m.

Masterpizzas. I like that.

I'm going to hold off. I was really only answering the question. Not that I'm uncomfortable but maybe in a different blog. My link would be awkward and out of place. I mean, story of my life, but still....

There are days where my pies are masterpizzas but some days it's nothing but a confused canvas of organic colors. And sometimes the wrong colors. And then the evil titans swarm in with their red-eye glares and hot breath, spouting orders and their negative comments. Man, dinner-rush can really ruin inspiration sometimes.

SDaniels Oct. 12, 2009 @ 2:31 a.m.

Yeah, those ingrate, fake parm sprinkling dinner-rushers!

I like that the colors are organic. Whaddya think of that new Pizza Fusion place? Any good? They have gluten-free crust, which could go very badly wrong.

Speaking of pizza crust, Pike told me that leaving the dough to rest a couple of DAYS is a good thing. Anything to add, oh PizzaMaster?

FullFlavorPike Oct. 12, 2009 @ 8:29 a.m.

Headgraphics is a Patrick Yurick production and, yes, he does have an amazing talent.

13: "And then the evil titans swarm in with their red-eye glares and hot breath, spouting orders and their negative comments. Man, dinner-rush can really ruin inspiration sometimes."

Yup, that's service... Ugh. Of to work now, actually. Prolly see Adam at some point.

Adam92102 Oct. 12, 2009 @ 9:40 a.m.

What do I think of Pizza Fusion? Well, since I work there, I should probably say it's pretty good, hunh? However, I actually do think it's pretty good. Not a vegan, vegetarian or restricted to a gluten-free diet but damn, the food there is pretty tasty.

Pike, see you in a little over an hour.

CuddleFish Oct. 12, 2009 @ 9:43 a.m.

Dang, SD, smoked him out on the first try, nice going!!!

PistolPete Oct. 12, 2009 @ 11:56 a.m.

Best Halloween costume? Last year me and the GF went to Hillcrest dressed as Lois and Stewie from Family Guy. She's a crotcher and even made me a Rupert bear to go with my costume.

Worst Halloween costume? One year while living in Chippewa Falls,WI I went home and grabbed my dickhead hat. It was a hat I bought from a headshop that had the head of a dick sewn to it. It was stuffed with paper to make it look erect. I took some hand moisturizer and poured some down the front. I walked back into the bar and promptly fell into a bar stool. I told the bartender"Make it a double! I'm spent!".

antigeekess Oct. 12, 2009 @ 1:48 p.m.

Adam wrote:

"Am I on YouTube? Um, if I say yes do I have to give you a link? It's a really poor attempt at an already fleeted dream of playing music. You don't want to see it."

WRONG!!!

antigeekess Oct. 12, 2009 @ 1:50 p.m.

Peter pecked:

"She's a crotcher..."

Hruh? :/

FullFlavorPike Oct. 12, 2009 @ 6:34 p.m.

19-20:

Issue ONE! We need Scooby-Doo HTML tags!